1st spring game of the year for me

Tony-OH

Chris Davis playing the whole game tells me they are trying to get him ABs. He has not looked good.

Davis didn't look good for the entire first half last season, but came on strong in the second. This is why I wouldn't have given him all that money. I sure hope it doesn't take him that long to find it this year, too.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice opposite field single by Kim. I'm not going lie though, haven't heard too many good things about him from people down here. Whispers of a slow bat. He got that unorthodox unbalanced swing that a lot of asian imported hitters have so when he struggles he's going to look bad. Too early to give up on him. He does seem to make some adjustments after looking bad in a AB.

If he is making adjustments, that to me is the most significant thing here. It took Kang until the end of April to start hitting, so let's give Kim some more time. If he's making adjustments, that tells me he has a decent baseball IQ and should mean he will continue to improve. Let's not forget Kim was also one of the top defensive left fielders in the KBO. The dude just needs to get comfortable and it sounds like he is. We'd all love for it to be quicker, but he seems to be coming along so let's just see what happens.

Talked to a scout who seen him says he's ok. Made a nice play defensively. Scouts thinks he'll be better this year but jury is out.

Thanks Tony. Hearing anything about Walker, Bundy or Scott? Hopefully you'll get a look at them while you're there.

If he is making adjustments, that to me is the most significant thing here. It took Kang until the end of April to start hitting, so let's give Kim some more time. If he's making adjustments, that tells me he has a decent baseball IQ and should mean he will continue to improve. Let's not forget Kim was also one of the top defensive left fielders in the KBO. The dude just needs to get comfortable and it sounds like he is. We'd all love for it to be quicker, but he seems to be coming along so let's just see what happens.

You do know the Kang only had 26 at bats in April after as bad ST last year? Right. He started out on the bench.

You do know the Kang only had 26 at bats in April after as bad ST last year? Right. He started out on the bench.

Indeed, I looked at Kang's game log a couple days ago and I am fully aware he had a rough spring training. Kang started off slow just as Kim is now and he turned out alright so far. That was the point. I didn't say Kang played in every April game, but he got three hits in his last April game and was in the starting lineup shortly afterwards. Kim may be on the bench to start the year, but maybe not if he keeps improving. If he does, that would put Rickard in left field on opening day being the most likely fourth OF and that would be way more surprising than if Kim started there. We'll see how Kim finishes the spring and how Buck handles it.

Indeed, I looked at Kang's game log a couple days ago and I am fully aware he had a rough spring training. Kang started off slow just as Kim is now and he turned out alright so far. That was the point. I didn't say Kang played in every April game, but he got three hits in his last April game and was in the starting lineup shortly afterwards. Kim may be on the bench to start the year, but maybe not if he keeps improving. If he does, that would put Rickard in left field on opening day being the most likely fourth OF and that would be way more surprising than if Kim started there. We'll see how Kim finishes the spring and how Buck handles it.

I look at it a little differently. Kim and Rickard are both rookies. Korea is probably no better than a AA league. Some can make the jump to the majors and some don't. I don't think it is any more surprising that Rickard would start in left field then it would be for Kim to start there. They begin even for me. And so far Rickard is outplaying Kim.

To be fair, Kim has a lot more to deal with. But that fact does not help the O's win games. The O's shouldn't give up on Kim nor should they hand him the starting job in leftfield. Let them fight it out. Best player by early April gets the job.

If Kim doesn't start in left then there is another decision to make. Is he better getting at bats every day in Norfolk or is he better getting fewer at bats off the O's bench. Buck and Dan can figure that one out.

I look at it a little differently. Kim and Rickard are both rookies. Korea is probably no better than a AA league. Some can make the jump to the majors and some don't. I don't think it is any more surprising that Rickard would start in left field then it would be for Kim to start there. They begin even for me. And so far Rickard is outplaying Kim.

To be fair, Kim has a lot more to deal with. But that fact does not help the O's win games. The O's shouldn't give up on Kim nor should they hand him the starting job in leftfield. Let them fight it out. Best player by early April gets the job.

If Kim doesn't start in left then there is another decision to make. Is he better getting at bats every day in Norfolk or is he better getting fewer at bats off the O's bench. Buck and Dan can figure that one out.

Fair points, I can agree with that analysis. It would be pretty amazing if Rickard was the opening day starter in left field. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Wright out for the 4th..

Going more to the slider now, some nice bite.

Nunez grounds out sharply to Manny. Sano up. The only guy who hit Wright hard so far.

Tony, where in the stadium were you sitting? Behind home plate? Scout's seats? Do you have credentials down there?

Thanks Tony. Hearing anything about Walker, Bundy or Scott? Hopefully you'll get a look at them while you're there.

A few wonder why the Orioles were trying Walker out in LF at the major league level instead of having him do it in minor league camp first. It's worth a shot to see if he can have some additional value. Bundy has looked good so far, but he has a lot to prove. Scott threw the ball well so far. The command has been better. He's definitely intriguing.

Tony' date=' I want thank you for your awesome insight! The whole OH is lucky to have you![/quote']

Thanks.

Tony, where in the stadium were you sitting? Behind home plate? Scout's seats? Do you have credentials down there?

I was mostly in the press box and yes I have credentials down there. i went down to talk to a few of my scout friends behind homeplate a few times though.

Great stuff, Tony. Keep it coming and thank you!

Thanks.

Archived