Tillman today

accinfo

Giving up 5 runs doesn't look good in the box score but sitting down and watching the game so far I am less concerned about Chris for the upcoming season. His stuff was very good. He really got squeezed, got behind and got hurt for it. He grooved one like he should have on a 3 ball count to a Yankee scrub. To the scrub's credit he made him pay. He looks healthy and I think he will pitch just fine. I am crossing my fingers that Gausman is ready to pitch when he is needed. That leaves Miggy being the biggest question mark. I would pretty much look at his last two starts as auditions versus Tyler Wilson. Whoever is better should get the start and the other should be optioned. Much of Miggy's problem might be between the ears if he is healthy. If he has to go to Norfolk and get it together then so be it. If his stuff has really just gone away then will find it out. I wouldn't write him off quite yet. He was so good in 2014. I am rooting for the guy.

This Oriole line up is just awesome. It is really impossible to pitch around their power.

You forgot about Gallardo. He has been pretty bad too. Not worried about him either?

Ubaldo has had a decent spring, although most of it has been in the minor league camp. We can't pretend that 2014 never happened.

Maybe Tillman passed the eye test, but the results have been bad going back to last year. I am still concerned. Very. He is supposed to be our best pitcher.

I have some hope for Gausman, but he could be injured. Shoulder tendinitis does not sound like something that will just go away and never come back.

Pretty much the only guy I have any confidence in is Wilson, but he may not even make the team.

madmag.jpg

Giving up 5 runs doesn't look good in the box score but sitting down and watching the game so far I am less concerned about Chris for the upcoming season. His stuff was very good. He really got squeezed, got behind and got hurt for it. He grooved one like he should have on a 3 ball count to a Yankee scrub. To the scrub's credit he made him pay. He looks healthy and I think he will pitch just fine.

I'm getting tired of hearing excuses for why our pitchers are allowing so many runs this spring. I keep hearing quotes like "my stuff was good but I just left a couple of pitches up. I'm happy with my outing." At some point, it's time to show you are ready for the season. Tillman will get one more start before the season begins, and he is behind schedule in terms of being ready.

Oriole starters entered the day with an 8.32 ERA in spring training (not counting minor league games).

Amazingly, the Giants' starting pitching has been even worse this spring (8.51 ERA entering today).

The fact that the Giants have pitched so badly is a hint that spring training stats aren't a great crystal ball; the Giants on paper should have one of the strongest rotations in baseball. But it's definitely a concern to see the Oriole starters looking so uniformly bad, given how poor the rotation was last season.

Giving up 5 runs doesn't look good in the box score but sitting down and watching the game so far I am less concerned about Chris for the upcoming season. His stuff was very good. He really got squeezed, got behind and got hurt for it. He grooved one like he should have on a 3 ball count to a Yankee scrub. To the scrub's credit he made him pay. He looks healthy and I think he will pitch just fine. I am crossing my fingers that Gausman is ready to pitch when he is needed. That leaves Miggy being the biggest question mark. I would pretty much look at his last two starts as auditions versus Tyler Wilson. Whoever is better should get the start and the other should be optioned. Much of Miggy's problem might be between the ears if he is healthy. If he has to go to Norfolk and get it together then so be it. If his stuff has really just gone away then will find it out. I wouldn't write him off quite yet. He was so good in 2014. I am rooting for the guy.

This Oriole line up is just awesome. It is really impossible to pitch around their power.

Chris on his day...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tillman on his start: "They made good contact I think twice all day, so I wasn’t unhappy with it by any means." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 25, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tillman's stuff looks great. Not just velocity, but offspeed stuff looks sharp as well. The walks are a bit concerning, but not much to see here to be worried about. Far more worried about Gallardo and Gonzalez.

It did look pretty good. It's the control I'm worried about.

Like Frobby, I too am tired of the BS (either acronym works, or both) after a lousy performance. I'd have more respect for a guy that said, I felt good but I didn't hit spots and threw some poor pitches. I think Tillman is a guy that has been a huge disappointment, large upside that he will never realize. He comes into camp out of shape and seems to have these lingering soft injuries.

I always liked Arrieta, thought he was so much more than Tillman. Arrieta may have lacked the mental aspect three years ago, but Tillman lacks both the mental and physical side of the game. In some ways a Ponson. Could be great, but...

Oriole starters entered the day with an 8.32 ERA in spring training (not counting minor league games).

Amazingly, the Giants' starting pitching has been even worse this spring (8.51 ERA entering today).

The fact that the Giants have pitched so badly is a hint that spring training stats aren't a great crystal ball; the Giants on paper should have one of the strongest rotations in baseball. But it's definitely a concern to see the Oriole starters looking so uniformly bad, given how poor the rotation was last season.

Bumgarners foot injury could ruin the Giants season

I posted in the game thread, Tillman had some really great stuff today. Great secondaries. But some others he looked out of whack. Falling off the mound toward 1B. Promising outing. He's getting there. He'll BE there.

I posted in the game thread, Tillman had some really great stuff today. Great secondaries. But some others he looked out of whack. Falling off the mound toward 1B. Promising outing. He's getting there. He'll BE there.

I sure hope so. His curve looked especially nasty, but he still walked three and allowed six hits and five runs in four innings. That's nine base runners. His control is the problem. He leaves too many pitches in the middle

of the plate and he doesn't have the stuff to get away with that. It gets hammered every single time which was a common theme last year too along with the walks and getting behind in counts though admittedly, the

ump was probably squeezing him a bit.

I sure hope so. His curve looked especially nasty, but he still walked three and allowed six hits and five runs in four innings. That's nine base runners. His control is the problem. He leaves too many pitches in the middle

of the plate and he doesn't have the stuff to get away with that. It gets hammered every single time which was a common theme last year too along with the walks and getting behind in counts though admittedly, the

ump was probably squeezing him a bit.

Chris' control is always the problem. Especially on the curve. When he's dropping deuces like today, and throwing 94, he's Rembrandt out there. He just showed today IMHO that's he just a little behind. Tired in the 4th. Missing FBs up and away. I was happy to see him get close to 80 pitches.

Archived