Janish will be missed if he opts out (He stayed)

wildcard

We still get the occasional "the O's have to find some starters who can get us through the 7th or 8th or they'll never win anything!" Kershaw and Keuchel were the only pitchers in MLB in 2015 who averaged 7 innings a start in 20+ starts, and juuuusssst barely.

Averaging 7IP is one thing, getting to the 7th at all is another issue entirely. Don't conflate the two. The Orioles are bottom third in starter innings, alongside the Phillies, Rockies, Dbacks, Marlins, and Reds. This is not good company. Starters don't pitch later if they don't pitch well, and if they don't pitch well, they are probably putting the team in a hole.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In 2015, across all of MLB, only 28 pitchers passed the 200 innings pitched mark (less than one per team) and only 14 passed the 210 inning mark. That's hardly an Oriole-specific issue.

"Aces in their places." The best way of replacing Hardy's D, in case of long-term injury, is with Machado. Shortstop is a much more important defensive position than is third base. They can find a guy who can battle 3B to a draw and hit a little bit. There are a lot more guys who can handle 3B serviceably than can handle playing SS.

Now that his knees appear to be healthy, moving Manny to SS is the best way of maximizing his value.

If Janish stays and plays at AAA, that's fine. If he moves on, that's OK, too.

Averaging 7IP is one thing, getting to the 7th at all is another issue entirely. Don't conflate the two. The Orioles are bottom third in starter innings, alongside the Phillies, Rockies, Dbacks, Marlins, and Reds. This is not good company. Starters don't pitch later if they don't pitch well, and if they don't pitch well, they are probably putting the team in a hole.

The 2015 Orioles were half an out below median IP/GS. 5.65 vs 5.80. The teams directly below the O's are the Rays and Royals.

I still think there's a good chance he cracks the roster.

Why? In what role? What does he do that is an asset to the team, what does he do better than other people on the roster? He's a 33-year-old plus defensive shortstop who can't hit at all, doesn't steal any bases, has no power. To me his role is to fill in for a bit if/when JJ Hardy gets hurt. That's not a 25-man roster spot. It's a waste.

Why? In what role? What does he do that is an asset to the team, what does he do better than other people on the roster? He's a 33-year-old plus defensive shortstop who can't hit at all, doesn't steal any bases, has no power. To me his role is to fill in for a bit if/when JJ Hardy gets hurt. That's not a 25-man roster spot. It's a waste.

Looks like that spot may end up going to Kim after all. Talk about waste of a roster spot. At least Janish would give us depth at SS/2B, which in fact we actually do need. I shudder to think who our backup will be if there is an injury to any of Manny, Flaherty, Schoop, or JJ. And we know it will happen to one if not more of that group.

Looks like that spot may end up going to Kim after all. Talk about waste of a roster spot. At least Janish would give us depth at SS/2B, which in fact we actually do need. I shudder to think who our backup will be if there is an injury to any of Manny, Flaherty, Schoop, or JJ. And we know it will happen to one if not more of that group.

I shudder to think of Paul Janish getting 200-300 MLB PAs for this team. If they can't find a suitable replacement for a .575 OPS guy with a good glove they have some problems. There have to be some unemployed Izturises around somewhere.

I'd take Kim over Janish in a second.

Archived