Orioles Release Miguel Gonzalez

SticksandStones

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Miguel Gonzalez, 2012-2014:<br>.325 wOBA with bases empty<br>.305 wOBA with men on<br>2015:<br>.321 wOBA with bases empty<br>.381 wOBA with men on<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Beyond the Box Score (@BtBScore) <a href="

">March 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm guessing they tried to trade him and found no takers.

"Once a player is placed on outright release waivers, it is irrevocable. Gonzalez could be claimed by other teams in the next 48 hours, but they would be on the hook for paying the remainder of his $5.1 million 2016 salary. If he is not claimed, Gonzalez would be released and become a free agent. Either way, the Orioles will save roughly 75 percent of Gonzalez's contract.

The surprising move leaves the O's rotation battle between Tyler Wilson and Mike Wright. The team didn't receive much trade interest in Gonzalez this spring, and his poor Grapefruit League campaign didn't help matters."

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/news/article/169776724/sources-miguel-gonzalez-released-by-orioles

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> have given right-hander Miguel Gonzalez his unconditional release, according to an industry source.</p>? Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">March 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow

Whoa just goes to show my opinion wasn't worth crap :P. His stuff must be really lacking for Buck to do that and not send him down only guess I have at that move is it's a money play and they think he's done.

Right call IMO, but the rotation is looking pretty thin at the moment. One way to interpret the developments with Gonzo and Kim is that the O's are really, really serious about this season. I hope Dan's on the phone if that's the case.

Sorry if a stupid question' date=' but I thought mlb player contracts were fully guaranteed? The Angels could get out of paying Pujols for the next whatever years by cutting him? Hiow is it that so many teams are on the hook for horrible contracts but we get to save money by cutting Miguel?[/quote']

His is a Multi Year Free Agent signing not an arbitration Signing. TEAM CONTROL.

I hope he signs with the Blue Jays and pitches a shutout against us.

I'm kidding. Mostly.

I'm very appreciative of what he's done for the team. But if current Miguel Gonzalez pitched against our best lineup, he'd give up 10 runs in .2 IP. He just looks like he's got nothing left.

Clearing room for Shields....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be surprised if we didn't make a move like that really soon. I didn't think we'd cut Gonzo like this, but it's not surprising at all. I think Shields is a good possibility, but we'll see.

Wilson or Wright is the fourth starter and one of them will come up for April 10th if Gausman is not ready to go. No need to have them on the roster till then.

Mel Antonen says they would be foolish not to give the fourth slot to Worley and save Wright and Wilson for later in the season. Keep the inning totals down for them.

Archived