Orioles Release Miguel Gonzalez

SticksandStones

I'm genuinely curious, what would make you think he would eventually turn it around?

His spring trainings have not been that different than this year and he looked significantly better last night to me. He has never relied primarily on stuff, but on location and command. I think he was not completely well last year and I think he knows how to pitch effectively in the AL East. Things Wright and Wilson will have to learn as they take their lumps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you be surprise if the O's:

1) Have Gonzo clear waivers.

2) Take their 3.8M saving from the termination of his control.

3) Then offer him a major league contract with a .51m salary plus incentive for innings pitched.

4) Option Gonzo to AAA until they need him in the majors.

Think that could happen?

3) Then offer him a major league contract with a .51m salary plus incentive for innings pitched.

Think that could happen?

I could see it happening. Most definitely. But I think he'll be picked up.

Our whole starting staff is a liability in the rotation.

This is why I hate this move. Understand saving money, but I still like to think he could have contributed at some point at least as much as the other guys we are running out there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Think that could happen?

I asked about this earlier in the thread and did not get an answer. Would the MLBPA have a problem with this? Seems like it could really undermine the arbitration system if teams can release underperforming players before opening day and then resign them at a massive discount. Still, if it is allowed, I could certainly see them doing something like this, similar to the Pearce deal in 2014.

I don't recall seeing a single complaint in this 13-page thread. Sad to see him go does not mean that anyone disagrees with the decision. Definitely a good move for the O's and probably for Gonzo to avoid Bud Norris redux and I think everyone on the board understands that.

Well I certainly disagree with the decision.

Guy gave us 3 very good years and wasn't bad last year until the injury. I'm not so quick to throw the dirt on his career after an injury-filled season and poor spring.

There have been many pitchers who looked "done" at some point and rebounded. The O's owed Gonzo more of a chance here. Especially since we have jack and squat to replace him.

Well I certainly disagree with the decision.

Guy gave us 3 very good years and wasn't bad last year until the injury. I'm not so quick to throw the dirt on his career after an injury-filled season and poor spring.

There have been many pitchers who looked "done" at some point and rebounded. The O's owed Gonzo more of a chance here. Especially since we have jack and squat to replace him.

Gives me hope DD is working on something

When you spend big for an all-in season you can't afford to let a guy have a long leash.

Gonzo is a victim of the win now mentality.

Not talking about a long leash. He earned a few starts to see if he could get it together. If he gets bombed after 3 or 4 make the move.

The timing says it is a money move. Think about it, you are short on pitching as it is, and have a "fairly" proven starter. Why not run him out there a few starts in the regular season and see if he snaps back. Tillman and Ubaldo never look great in the spring and no one bats an eye. Matter of fact, seem like early in the season both of them have issues sitting over 90ph. Not even going into the fact Orioles have given big contracts to Ubaldo and Gallardo who have each lost like 10mph on their fastball. Also keep in mid he had an option left.

The only reason you cut him now is to save money. If they use for something else, great If not, then boo on them for being cheap with good clubhouse guy.

Archived