One decision left

wildcard

One of these statements has to be true:

1) Kim simply lacks the ability to be a major leaguer.

Or

2) Kim has the ability to be a major leaguer but hasn't displayed it yet due to some unknown factor(s) (adjustment to US, adjustment to US style baseball, showing up out of shape, not having enough practice time yet, undisclosed medical issue, undisclosed personal issue.

If #1 is true, keeping him to avoid losing the $7m is a waste of time. The money is already lost.

Of #2 is the case, how do we get him in shape to play sitting on our bench not playing. Unless it's a medical or personal issue, it's not going to be fixed by sitting on the bench.

It's just a ba situation all around.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Kim seems like a poor man's Urrutia. Is David Murphy in play, did he opt out? If we're going with a position player and a 4 man bench it should be Avery. Christian Walker should be living in LF in Norfolk. I don't think we're going to get a regular, or even a platoon guy, out of D.Alvarez, Urrutia, Kim, and Hoes.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for summarizing this up. I've been slacking off in my O's info. Let's say we don't go with Avery or Kim, and opt for an extra reliever. Who would be in the running?

I'm assuming that it would have to be a guy that has options. Hasn't been recently demoted because of the 10 day in the minors rule. What arm fits the criteria? Or can we just avoid the 10 day rule by DL'ing Matusz, Gausman, and Paredes?

We already have an extra reliever since we do not need a fifth starter until the 10th. You don't need nine relievers. It's going to be a position player. After the fifth starter is used maybe they may opt to bring in a reliever and option/designate the bench bat.

Thanks for summarizing this up. I've been slacking off in my O's info. Let's say we don't go with Avery or Kim, and opt for an extra reliever. Who would be in the running?

I'm assuming that it would have to be a guy that has options. Hasn't been recently demoted because of the 10 day in the minors rule. What arm fits the criteria? Or can we just avoid the 10 day rule by DL'ing Matusz, Gausman, and Paredes?

Won't happen but that guy would be Drake IMO.

Ideally Kim accepts an assignment to Norfolk, tears it up 2-3 weeks in, and comes up when someone inevitably goes on the DL. He does himself no good demanding to be on the big-league roster only to play the David Lough role of sitting on the bench and getting 2 ABs per week. I really think he can be productive in a way that this team sorely needs (OBP)... if he's willing to trust the team and go down for a short period.

Would you trust the team after all that has transpired?

Here is my plan.

Put Kim on the team as the 25th man.

Assign Avery to AAA.

Kim hardly plays at all for the first month. He

can't out hit or out field either Rickard or Reimold so he just sits on the bench.

After a month of that with no end in sight, playing every day starts looking good. So Dan arranges a deal for him to go back to Korea and he accepts. Might cost the O's 2m in salary.

If Avery is hitting well he gets promoted to be a backup OFer.

Hope it works.

Here is my plan.

Assign Avery to AAA.

can't out hit or out field either Rickard or Reimold so he just sits on the bench.

After a month of that with no end in sight, playing every day starts looking good. So Dan arranges a deal for him to go back to Korea and he accepts. Might cost the O's 2m in salary.

Hope it works.

As far as OD goes is the difference between Avery and Kim worth 7M? As to what happens down the road, who gets frustrated first, Kim with the bench or Buck with a 24 man roster.

What's the point of keeping Kim if he's never going to get off the bench? Paying a guy 3.5 million a year shouldn't mean he gets playing time. Nick Swisher was set to get paid 15 mil for just this season, and the Braves cut him - and it's not like the Braves are a big market team.

Here is my plan.

Assign Avery to AAA.

Hope it works.

Problem with your plan.

In 2015 the top KBO salary was 1,500,000,000 WON.

https://twitter.com/mykbo/status/565884136900943872

At today's exchange rate that is $1,307,195.24

Kim made half of that.

Even if Kim goes back to Korea it looks to me like the O's are going to be on the hook for at least 5M.

Here is my plan.

Assign Avery to AAA.

Hope it works.

Gotta wonder if the O's previous fubar(s) in Korea makes it awfully difficult for any Korean team to help the O's out of their debacle.

Gotta wonder if the O's previous fubar(s) in Korea makes it awfully difficult for any Korean team to help the O's out of their debacle.

Even if a team agreed wouldn't Kim have to consent. It's not like they could trade him to a KBO team is it?

What's the point of keeping Kim if he's never going to get off the bench? Paying a guy 3.5 million a year shouldn't mean he gets playing time. Nick Swisher was set to get paid 15 mil for just this season, and the Braves cut him - and it's not like the Braves are a big market team.

Its not 3.5m. Its 7m if the O's cut him. And the O's are not doing that. If they wait a while they can probably get out for his contract for about 2m if they trade him to Korea. (My guess)

I'd go the opposite way. Play him 5 days a week...give him 3-4 weeks to see if he makes the adjustments. If nothing happening by May 1, cut bait. Alternatively you may have a viable outfielder. Best way to find out is to play him. Just put him on a short leash.

Archived