Strange 40 man roster situation for Dan Duquette

wildcard

Dan loves to use the waiver wire to full up his 40 roster. He stashes players at AAA on the 40 man and uses them for the Norfolk shuttle. He takes flyers on guys rehabbing from injuries placing them on the 40 man.

That is why its a little weird to see the O's 40 man roster at 37. And it could soon be at 36 if Paredes comes off the DL. He has no options left and there is not room on the 25 man roster. He will be required to go on waivers when activated and whether the is claimed or not he will drop off the 40 man roster.

If the O's needed roster room Henry Urrutia would be feeling the heat. He is not even a starting outfielder at AAA with Walker, Avery and Dariel Alvarez on the roster. But Urrutia is cool because there is no need for roster space at the moment.

The reason the O's are at 37 is that they waived Miguel Gonzalez to keep from paying him 5M after he showed a decline in his velocity this spring. Then Roe and Phillips cleared waivers. Both had no options left and there was no space for them on the 25 man roster.

The one player in the minors that I could see being added to the 40 man is Xavier Avery. He had a good spring, He has an option left. If he gets off to a good start at AAA and there is a need in the majors he would be an easy add to the 40 man roster. But there has to be a need for that to happen.

So Dan is probably sitting in his office with an itchy trigger finger. Watching the waiver wire and seeing who may be rehabbing that could possibly help the O's by adding them to a roster spot and placing them in Norfolk. Expect some action before too long. The starting pitching could use some more depth.

Dan loves to use the waiver wire to full up his 40 roster. He stashes players at AAA on the 40 man and uses them for the Norfolk shuttle. He takes flyers on guys rehabbing from injuries placing them on the 40 man.

That is why its a little weird to see the O's 40 man roster at 37. And it could soon be at 36 if Paredes comes off the DL. He has no options left and there is not room on the 25 man roster. He will be required to go on waivers when activated and whether the is claimed or not he will drop off the 40 man roster.

If the O's needed roster room Henry Urrutia would be feeling the heat. He is not even a starting outfielder at AAA with Walker, Avery and Dariel Alvarez on the roster. But Urrutia is cool because there is no need for roster space at the moment.

The reason the O's are at 37 is that they waived Miguel Gonzalez to keep from paying him 5M after he showed a decline in his velocity this spring. Then Roe and Phillips cleared waivers. Both had no options left and there was no space for them on the 25 man roster.

The one player in the minors that I could see being added to the 40 man is Xavier Avery. He had a good spring, He has an option left. If he gets off to a good start at AAA and there is a need in the majors he would be an easy add to the 40 man roster. But there has to be a need for that to happen.

So Dan is probably sitting in his office with an itchy trigger finger. Watching the waiver wire and seeing who may be rehabbing that could possibly help the O's by adding them to a roster spot and placing them in Norfolk. Expect some action before too long. The starting pitching could use some more depth.

One of the reasons I love this board.... you guys actually know this stuff? I consider myself a fan.... but I'm not in your league dude...

*bows*

I wouldn't be surprised if Beliveau gets one of those 40 man spots if Matusz' injury lingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean Burnett. I can't believe he hasn't been signed.

Wildcard brings up a point that I don't understand why is not getting more attention.

What in the world is DD doing with the 40-man. Why clear room and not use it?

Wildcard brings up a point that I don't understand why is not getting more attention.

Go to the game evil Nat fan.:)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/04/07/nationals-vs-marlins-weather-forecast-clouds-likely-shower-chances-slight/

Because when you add guys you use up options.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Orioles have acquired LHP Jayson Aquino from the Cardinals in exchange for cash considerations. Aquino has been optioned to AA-Bowie.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">April 7, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Orioles have acquired LHP Jayson Aquino from the Cardinals in exchange for cash considerations. Aquino has been optioned to AA-Bowie.
— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch)
April 7, 2016

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But, I thought DD was sitting back on his hands and doing nothing? :):):)

I know! Hope weather holds! Clearing up here in Chinatown, fingers crossed!

I was all set to get Bowie tickets for Saturday and skip down the road and catch Gausman throw, but looking the high of 44 and raining, not exactly good weather to be in the stands.

And thats the real definition of a "fair" weather fan. LOL

I was all set to get Bowie tickets for Saturday and skip down the road and catch Gausman throw, but looking the high of 44 and raining, not exactly good weather to be in the stands.

Be interesting to see if he pitches in the cold and rain or snow.

Oh very cool. I have a mini package and thought the same for Saturday, but no way I am going with those temps. We should meetup sometime, I will grab you a beer sir! I love Bowie games, my buddy does the stuff between innings there so I go out to see him too.

Well, two of the guys (Roe/Phillips) had to go through waivers because they were out of options. No reason to go out and fill it back up until you need to.

Archived