2016 Attendance Thread

OFFNY

Those fans at Nationals games would be at OPACY. That's why we deserve the MASN deal that PA was promised when they moved into our region.

No they wouldn't. I wouldn't even think about driving that far on a weekday. No way, no how. Nobody that is sane would. At least a hour (prob double in rush hour) EACH WAY.

The weekends? You might have a point, but no way is anyone from NOVA or DC driving to Baltimore on a weekday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No they wouldn't. I wouldn't even think about driving that far on a weekday. No way, no how. Nobody that is sane would. At least a hour (prob double in rush hour) EACH WAY.

The weekends? You might have a point, but no way is anyone from NOVA or DC driving to Baltimore on a weekday.

I did it last night. And do it (just on weekdays) approx 10 times a year.

And of course people did it before the Nats came. Not everybody, and not always, but plenty. Look at the attendance drop off the year they moved to DC.

I did it last night. And do it (just on weekdays) approx 10 times a year.

And of course people did it before the Nats came. Not everybody, and not always, but plenty. Look at the attendance drop off the year they moved to DC.

May I ask where you are?

Of course they do.

The cheapest day of the game walk up tickets are getting less attractive each year. They are now in the $20 range and that price point does not encourage walk ups.

StubHub is a better approach. If you buy right before gametime, you can often score $6 seats.

That is exactly my point, the fact that they lead the league in HR's but are near the bottom in OBP, means

that they have a ridiculously low number of actual runners on base per game. No actual rallies, lots

of solo shots, no pressure on weak defensive teams, because over 1/2 their bats result in the ball being

either over the fence or in the catchers mitt for strike three. It's not a winning formula.

The O's aren't near the bottom in OBP-- they're sixth in the AL (.320). And we can debate whether that's a winning formula, but this an attendance thread, and your argument has nothing to do with why people aren't attending games.

Has this conversation ever occurred?

"Son, do you want to go to the Orioles game today?"

"No thanks, Dad. The O's don't put enough runners on base."

We should probably face the reality here. Baltimore is not a huge market unto itself and the presence of the Nationals down the road will always be a damper on attendance.

A terrible Orioles team drew an average of 32K in 2005, the first year of the Nationals. The Orioles have not drawn that many since. Playoff runs and young competitive teams, ballpark enhancements, new dining options....whatever. Unless the Orioles win a couple of World Series, attendance is unlikely to top 35K again.

There are so many reasons that attendance is down. And I think you all have hit on all of them.

I'll only speak for myself. I'm not wealthy. I either want to go to a game with GREAT seats... which I will do like once a year... or I want a super cheap seat just to get into the park, like $6 bucks cheap, so I can drink some beers with friends. $15-$24 is discouraging to fans.

StubHub is a better approach. If you buy right before gametime, you can often score $6 seats.

This is usually what I do since I don't have a plan. But I don't see how families can do that since they require a little more planning.

The prime game and different price stuff is a joke. I'm a single dude, hardcore fan, usually catch a couple games each home stand. But I wont this week, because I don't feel like paying extra money just because it's against the Sox and Yanks. The stadium is freaking empty.

Stubhub is crazy with their fees. I bought $6 tickets to the SEA game last homestand it was around $20 after all the fees.

I live in NW DC.

That's slightly better than VA but sometimes not with traffic:)

You are dedicated. I would say you are the exception and not the rule.

I think the reasons for down attendance are:

1.weather in May

2. Lack of promotions to offset o creased ticket prices

3. Fans resisting watching Ubaldo pitch

This is usually what I do since I don't have a plan. But I don't see how families can do that since they require a little more planning.

You're right. If you are dragging a family to OPCY, you probably don't want to do the last-minute thing.

I don't usually go with my entire family (five of us) unless it's a Dugout Club game. This year's club was more expensive and for fewer games, so we didn't renew. Taking a family of five to a game can be a pretty massive investment. We go to minor league games in Frederick or Hagerstown instead. Cheap, great seats close to the field, no drunken idiot fans.

Archived