GAME 1:O 44,956 o(97.8%)

GAME 2:O 18,229 o(39.7%)

GAME 3:O 33,040 o(71.9%)

GAME 4:O 38,611 o(84.0%)

_________

4-GAME TOTAL: OO) 134,806

4-GAME AVERAGE: oo 33, 709

* The 2 Games Played on June 25th (Games 2 and 3) Were a Day-Night Doubleheader

I just wonder if during our 15 years in a row losing, did we lose young fans to the Nationals?

14 years of consecutive losing seasons.

Some don't care one way or another, but it matters to me because I don't like it to be portrayed it any worse than it was.

• 2 weeks later...

2016 attendance (47 games): 1,254,220 [through 7/10/16]

2015 attendance (47 games): 1,374,105 [through 7/28/15]

Over the last 22 home dates, since the last time I did a comparison, we've drawn 45,820 fewer fans than in 2015, about 2,000 per game less than last year in that span.

Looking at the second half, we have the following weekend series: CLE, HOU (4), NYY, TBR (4), ARI. And we have the following weekday series: COL, TEX, BOS (2), WSN (2), TOR, BOS (4). Eyeballing that, I don't see much chance of catching up with last year. However, maybe if the race is tight in September, the O's can make up some ground on last year. Last year the O's drew 29,936 per game through 47 home dates, but only 27,837 per game the rest of the way. This year they've drawn 26,686 per game through 47 home dates.

2016 attendance (47 games): 1,254,220 [through 7/10/16]

2015 attendance (47 games): 1,374,105 [through 7/28/15]

Over the last 22 home dates, since the last time I did a comparison, we've drawn 45,820 fewer fans than in 2015, about 2,000 per game less than last year in that span.

Looking at the second half, we have the following weekend series: CLE, HOU (4), NYY, TBR (4), ARI. And we have the following weekday series: COL, TEX, BOS (2), WSN (2), TOR, BOS (4). Eyeballing that, I don't see much chance of catching up with last year. However, maybe if the race is tight in September, the O's can make up some ground on last year. Last year the O's drew 29,936 per game through 47 home dates, but only 26,679 per game the rest of the way. This year they've drawn 26,686 per game through 47 home dates.

If we win the division we certainly should make up with the home playoff game sell-outs.

If we win the division we certainly should make up with the home playoff game sell-outs.

Sure, playoffs are always a big boost. But it's still concerning that regular season attendance is down significantly despite the fact that the O's have been in first place for a large chunk of the season, and never more than 3 games out of first place. And, as a reminder, last year we had the White Sox zero attendance game and the three "home" games played in Tampa to very small crowds, which are included in the 47 home dates for 2015 in the comparison I gave above.

Sure, playoffs are always a big boost. But it's still concerning that regular season attendance is down significantly despite the fact that the O's have been in first place for a large chunk of the season, and never more than 3 games out of first place. And, as a reminder, last year we had the White Sox zero attendance game and the three "home" games played in Tampa to very small crowds, which are included in the 47 home dates for 2015 in the comparison I gave above.

I think the changing of season ticket plans that include Opening Day tickets hasn't help either.

From what I hear, the Nats are doing a better job of promotional discount ticket nights.

Thanks for placing the numbers into perspective. I've been a bit of a broken record as this message is what I've been conveying - a drop of 10+ percent for a team that has to date won more home games than any other team. It's alarming. I've been using this info in the context of cautioning those who believe we are going to be free-spending competitors in FA or making deals through trade for a TOR. I don't see it. This will likely affect any hopes of re-signing Trumbo as well. I think the focus needs to be on extending our core guys, namely Machado and Tillman while bucking the belt in by one notch and trying to get as many more comp picks and make good decisions through drafting, developing, international, rule 5, cash consideration leftovers...whatever less costly resources that are available. It's just not going to be big spending that will be in this team's immediate future IMO. And I don't think that's a bad thing BTW.

Didn't they raise ticket prices by more than that? I feel like my season plan went up by like 15%, but I could be wrong. If that's the case, a 10% decline in attendance will more than be made up for by the higher prices. It also doesn't help that the weekend series have been kind of lackluster and continue to be so. The Yankees stink, so maybe their fans aren't coming down to the games either. Last year, the team was coming off a division championship with a lot of new season plan holders. This year, their coming off a .500 season where they missed the playoffs. I'd guess some of those new plan holders bailed.

I don't find the attendance decline to be that alarming or surprising facing all of those headwinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't they raise ticket prices by more than that? I feel like my season plan went up by like 15%, but I could be wrong. If that's the case, a 10% decline in attendance will more than be made up for by the higher prices. It also doesn't help that the weekend series have been kind of lackluster and continue to be so. The Yankees stink, so maybe their fans aren't coming down to the games either. Last year, the team was coming off a division championship with a lot of new season plan holders. This year, their coming off a .500 season where they missed the playoffs. I'd guess some of those new plan holders bailed.

I don't find the attendance decline to be that alarming or surprising facing all of those headwinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ticket prices did go up, by varying amounts depending on where your seats were located. I'd say on average the hike certainly exceeded 10%. So, it may well be that ticket revenue will be slightly up even though attendance is down. I'd still like to think that the fans will support the team a bit better if they are in the playoff race down the stretch. Last year's team was theoretically in it, but never got much traction and was under .500 for large chunks of the season. This team has had a winning record literally from day one, and has been pretty exciting to watch.

Ticket prices did go up, by varying amounts depending on where your seats were located. I'd say on average the hike certainly exceeded 10%. So, it may well be that ticket revenue will be slightly up even though attendance is down. I'd still like to think that the fans will support the team a bit better if they are in the playoff race down the stretch. Last year's team was theoretically in it, but never got much traction and was under .500 for large chunks of the season. This team has had a winning record literally from day one, and has been pretty exciting to watch.

Do you think not allowing 13 game season ticket holder, the ability to get OD tickets, impact on season ticket sells?

Not everybody can afford the 29 game plan.

Archived