2016 Attendance Thread

OFFNY

I don't get why they don't do more promos this time of the season. Even if they can add 1-2,000 a game it is better than nothing. Cheaper concessions, something.

I'd like to know the bottom line for giveaways. What does it cost to make and distribute a cap or shirt vs. the increase in attendance.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No Ollie's bargain night.Nationals have tons of promotions during the week. $5.00 tickets. $1.00 soda and dollar hot dogs.Many coupons in the Washington Post for even more discounts. Have other promotions like Harris Teeter Family Packs,Brew and Burger promotion . Tons of more and better giveaways. Also have cheap four packs.What happened to the Oriole four or five packs?

Weams told them no promotions since the Evil Nats were doing so many:)

Don't forget Travelzoo tickets with $ included for food and/or drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me they are a boring team to watch

You sit around all game to see them either hit a few HRs and win, or not hit HRs, strike out

in double digits and lose. They don't have rallies, they can't steal bases, they don't

have many base runners. They put no pressure on opposing defenses. I would bet

that they must have the fewest balls in play per game for any team. Certainly among

the leaders. Close to 1/2 there AB's are either HR's or strikeouts

Their pitchers throw way too many pitches, innings drag on and on as they go from

3-2 count to 3-2 count. No one in the rotation is a strike out pitcher, Tillman so far

has exceeded his career norms.

And the pre-season prognostigators who picked them to finish 4th or 5th are probably

right and the casual fan hasn't developed any interest given the original low expectations

You sit around all game to see them either hit a few HRs and win, or not hit HRs, strike out

in double digits and lose. They don't have rallies, they can't steal bases, they don't

that they must have the fewest balls in play per game for any team. Certainly among

Their pitchers throw way too many pitches, innings drag on and on as they go from

3-2 count to 3-2 count. No one in the rotation is a strike out pitcher, Tillman so far

And the pre-season prognostigators who picked them to finish 4th or 5th are probably

right and the casual fan hasn't developed any interest given the original low expectations

Again, I don't think any of this is a factor in the low attendance. The casual fan doesn't care about how often the Orioles put the ball in play. And I think most fans -- casual or not -- would rather see lots of home runs than stolen bases.

People don't want to hear it, but it's true.

Well, I agree with you. The park and atmosphere in general are great but the product on the field is frustrating to me on a lot of nights.

They are 3rd in the American League in obp, they have put plenty of guys on base. They don't steal but I doubt a fan goes to the game hoping for steals. They hit lots of homers the thing most fans like seeing.

They are 3rd in the American League in obp, they have put plenty of guys on base. They don't steal but I doubt a fan goes to the game hoping for steals. They hit lots of homers the thing most fans like seeing.

HRs are counted towards OBP

If you back out the HRs they actually have fewer actual men on base than most teams

and we all know that with there roster they will finish in the bottom half of the league in OBP just like every year

HRs are counted towards OBP

If you back out the HRs they actually have fewer actual men on base than most teams

and we all know that with there roster they will finish in the bottom half of the league in OBP just like every year

So then what did it mean all those previous years where we topped the league in HRs, but we're low in OBP? How does that factor in to your equation?

So then what did it mean all those previous years where we topped the league in HRs, but we're low in OBP? How does that factor in to your equation?

That is exactly my point, the fact that they lead the league in HR's but are near the bottom in OBP, means

that they have a ridiculously low number of actual runners on base per game. No actual rallies, lots

of solo shots, no pressure on weak defensive teams, because over 1/2 their bats result in the ball being

either over the fence or in the catchers mitt for strike three. It's not a winning formula.

Again, I don't think any of this is a factor in the low attendance. The casual fan doesn't care about how often the Orioles put the ball in play. And I think most fans -- casual or not -- would rather see lots of home runs than stolen bases.

I don't think so, either.

Ultimately, a lot of wins bring in the fans, whether the team is winning by scores of 2-1 and 3-2, or by scores of 9-6 and 12-10 ...... and whether they are a speed-driven, base-stealing team like the St. Louis Cardinals of 1982-1989 were, or if they are a power-driven team like the 2016 Orioles are.

If a team is 55-33 after 88 games, the fans are going to come, whether the team is "boring" or not.

In my opinion, there are a lot of excuses in this thread, but ultimately this has been a very competitive team all year (the recent struggles (notwithstanding) that opened this home stand a game out with a pretty important series against a division rival. The fans need to come out and support this team better. 17k is absolutely paltry for a beautiful night with two very good teams in what is an important series. People aren't coming out because tonight the club wasn't giving away knee high socks or a cheap hat? Please...

I know I'll probably get some crap for this post, and that's fine; I know there are some reasons why attendance is a bit low, some laid out in this thread. But the bottom line to me is that this team deserves much better than what it has got from the fans thus far. The rest is just excuses. Go out and support the team.

And yes, I was out there tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Ollie's bargain night.Nationals have tons of promotions during the week. $5.00 tickets. $1.00 soda and dollar hot dogs.Many coupons in the Washington Post for even more discounts. Have other promotions like Harris Teeter Family Packs,Brew and Burger promotion . Tons of more and better giveaways. Also have cheap four packs.What happened to the Oriole four or five packs?

Those fans at Nationals games would be at OPACY. That's why we deserve the MASN deal that PA was promised when they moved into our region.

Archived