Reviewing the Rickardesque

Filmstudy

Not going to disagree with you on Gomez other than to say his splits limited his playing time versus RHP, so incremental playing time (scaling to 600 PA) would have meant worse overall results. Injuries were only part of the issue, but I really liked him as a player and wish the Orioles had not given up when they did.

The other interesting comment is the failure to value walks properly. I got my start in sports modeling in the 1980's, and it was true at the beginning of that decade, but by 1990, the James, STATS Inc, and Total Baseball had greatly broadened understanding of walk totals. I actually think we have regressed in the appreciation of walks since that time by haphazardly combining OBP and SLG into a single number. Now that is devaluation of BBs.

I don't remember his playing time against right handed pitchers being limited, nor do stats seem to bear it out. He got 71.7 percent of his plate appearances against right handed pitchers. Cal Ripken got 71.5 percent of his plate appearances against right handed pitchers. He and Ripken had nearly identical OPS splits against righties relative to their splits against lefties. Gomez was 110/96 and Ripken 109/97 with 100 being normalized.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't remember his playing time against right handed pitchers being limited, nor do stats seem to bear it out. He got 71.7 percent of his plate appearances against right handed pitchers. Cal Ripken got 71.5 percent of his plate appearances against right handed pitchers. He and Ripken had nearly identical OPS splits against righties relative to their splits against lefties. Gomez was 110/96 and Ripken 109/97 with 100 being normalized.

That's extremely strong evidence as to the L/R split and a great method to factor it out. I think there is still the question of the batter vs. pitcher splits for a player who doesn't play every day (I fully acknowledge that was not the original argument presented). Or maybe you're right and it was just the injuries that reduced his impact.

Archived