Reviewing the Rickardesque

Filmstudy

Joey Rickard's start has been flashy and I honestly believe he may be a fine player, but I thought it would be fun to recall the players who met all of the following criteria:

1. They were hitters

2. I can recall their first game in the bigs

3. It was with the Orioles

4. They debuted between 1971 and 1982, my first dozen years as a fan.

5. Their debut (or first couple of games at most) caused me to be excited about their future with the team.

Remarkably, it's not that long a list. By year:

1972 Al Bumbry and Rich Coggins. Both came up late, hit well and continued with great rookie campaigns in 1973. Bumbry could absolutely fly before his first hamstring.

1973 Jim Fuller. He hit 2 homers in a game against the Tigers to go with a .115 BA.

1974 Mike Reinbach. He hit his way onto the team in spring training 1974. I remember a SF, but he was sent down after 20 AB, and it looks like BaseballReference.com had trouble finding a picture of him.

1975 Royale Stillman. 6 for 14 in limited duty in 1975.

1976 Andres Mora. I must have heard Chuck Thompson say "he won a gold glove in the Mexican league" about 50 times. His best position was batter. Mora and Floyd Rayford had 2 of the highest single-season HR totals ML history with 10 or fewer walks (Mora 13 HR/5 BB in 1977, Rayford 18/10 in 1985).

1977 Dave Skaggs. His .287 avg and solid defense at catcher was a key to the FA-raped 1977 Orioles magical 97-win season. I forget what happened after that, which is just the way Skaggs would want it.

1977 Eddie Murray. No explanation necessary.

1979 Wayne Krenchicki. Damn, wouldn't it be nice to have another infielder who was a LHB?

1980 Dan Graham*. He gets an asterisk, because he had 4 previous ML ABs with Min, but made them pay with a 6 RBI game in 1980. That RBI total was not matched by an O's catcher until 1992 by the immortal Jeff Tackett.

1981 Cal Ripken. He was 5 for 39 as a rookie, but he got a mess of media attention in Baltimore during the strike for his play at AAA.

1982 Glenn Gulliver. He dribbled a single to deep short vs. Gaylord Perry for a hit in his first MLB AB and drew 37 walks in just 185 AB during the O's stretch drive that eventually fell 1 game shy of the Brewers in 1982. That walk total helped me overlook the fact that everything else about his game was awful.

It's very easy to get excited about a young player. It's even easier when you're young, stupid, and the internet hasn't been invented yet.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't quite remember anyone who became a semi-folk hero blue collar legend in his first three games in the majors like this kid. Angel wasted no time starting to call him "Joey Baseball" on the radio broadcasts. They're doing "Joe-ey" chants by his third AB in the majors.

I'm sure we've had lots of rookies who got off to very good starts like Rickard. But there's something about this kid that captures the imagination. He's Rule 5 -- Tampa didn't think enough of him to protect him -- and looks like he's 170 pounds soaking wet and he's 12 years old. If he turns out to be, say, Ben Revere, that's an unbelievable steal. But even if he's just a Ryan Flaherty-quality player who happened to start the season hot, I think he's just always going to be a guy who gets a ton of fan support.

If Joey turned out like Eck (+700 career OPS), that would be pretty fortuitous. I'd love it more if he he turned out to be our 'Mole Rat' (+800 career OPS). He's seems like such a nice kid though, so probably not fair to wish a comparison to Pedroia! It'll be interesting to see how this season goes for him and the Birds. I'd love to see Rickard gain the confidence to bring some of the leadership intangibles that Pedroia and Eckstein brought to their clubs. However, a long way before that ever happens. Great story so far.

Eckstein is a good comp. For some reason I'm also reminded of Craig Counsell, who debuted at 25 and somehow played until age 40. Just a tenacious guy who played the right way and came through in some big situations.

The thing that seems interesting about Rickard's batting style is that he really sprays it around. He seems really adept at hitting these flares down the RF line, but he can also turn on a pitch. He really gives meaning to "hit it where it's pitched." And he's patient, which I love.

Eckstein is a good comp. For some reason I'm also reminded of Craig Counsell, who debuted at 25 and somehow played until age 40. Just a tenacious guy who played the right way and came through in some big situations.

The thing that seems interesting about Rickard's batting style is that he really sprays it around. He seems really adept at hitting these flares down the RF line, but he can also turn on a pitch. He really gives meaning to "hit it where it's pitched." And he's patient, which I love.

Brett Gardner, possibly?

Two Orioles that really grabbed my attention when they came up' date=' who I thought were going to be "mainstays" for us were:

Chito Martinez

Leo Gomez[/quote']

Yeah, Chito Martinez caused a lot of excitement when he showed up. I was really disappointed when he disappeared. David Dellucci was another one I remember causing a lot of excitement like that, but he at least had a career elsewhere after he got taken in the expansion draft.

Larry Harlow and John Shelby were 2 fleet-footed OFers in that era who looked like they had potential - and both had some solid years - but didn't quite make it to the level that we hoped they would.

T-Bone, did manage to have an 11 year career, but you are right, as a 1st round pick, we expect more from him.

Brett Gardner, possibly?

Whoa there, killer. Simmer down now. Rickard doesn't have that type of athleticism.

I think a big part of it is that Rickard is such a sharp contrast to the rest of the lineup. He's a contact hitter that has to work pitchers in order to maximize his outcomes. Plus, he relies heavily on speed. No player on the roster plays quite like Rickard has to.

Whoa there, killer. Simmer down now. Rickard doesn't have that type of athleticism.

I think a big part of it is that Rickard is such a sharp contrast to the rest of the lineup. He's a contact hitter that has to work pitchers in order to maximize his outcomes. Plus, he relies heavily on speed. No player on the roster plays quite like Rickard has to.

That was a nice HR by the contact hitter, last night. :):):)

Archived