Pedro Martinez calls out O's fans on MLB tonight

LarryBigbie

O's fans are literally, Fair Weather Fans. Except in September when they are in a pennant race and the weather is cold, then they show up. Even though it's cold, and school is just starting, and the kids have new scout meetings. In September, when the team is doing well, 25K will show maybe 35K. That's not a fair weather fan, that's a bandwagon fan.

The Orioles have a wide pool of fans, but it's a shallow pool. A

AND

Geeez, what is it with O's fans always whining and comparing to the Yankees. If we have an empty seat they have 2. And their's are more expensive. IF ownership thought they could make more money charging higher prices for a ticket, they would. But they know exactly what the demand and elasticity are for O's tickets. And there are not enough big businesses in Baltimore to support the luxury seat prices behind the plate. The Nationals killed that business. DC law firm, defense contractors, IT firms... Don't need O's tickets to entertain anymore, like the EBW days.

But get off comparing the O's to the MFY and MFN. It only makes O's fans look petty and simple.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably not smart of him to make those comments before he's even recorded a hit for the team, BUT he's not wrong.

Pretty astonishing how low the attendance has been for these opening games. I know the weather is bad, but is it that bad? The Twins and Rays are obviously not draws but it's been pathetic.

Going by ESPN, they averaged 23,183 the first 3 games. I don't think tonight was much better than that, if at all. Pretty sad.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

It was Pedro Martinez saying that.

O's fans are literally, Fair Weather Fans. Except in September when they are in a pennant race and the weather is cold, then they show up. Even though it's cold, and school is just starting, and the kids have new scout meetings. In September, when the team is doing well, 25K will show maybe 35K. That's not a fair weather fan, that's a bandwagon fan.

The Orioles have a wide pool of fans, but it's a shallow pool. A

AND

Geeez, what is it with O's fans always whining and comparing to the Yankees. If we have an empty seat they have 2. And their's are more expensive. IF ownership thought they could make more money charging higher prices for a ticket, they would. But they know exactly what the demand and elasticity are for O's tickets. And there are not enough big businesses in Baltimore to support the luxury seat prices behind the plate. The Nationals killed that business. DC law firm, defense contractors, IT firms... Don't need O's tickets to entertain anymore, like the EBW days.

But get off comparing the O's to the MFY and MFN. It only makes O's fans look petty and simple.

Yea, when the Nats went to DC you could kiss the Federal fanbase goodbye.

Yea, when the Nats went to DC you could kiss the Federal fanbase goodbye.

Really? I get four or five signups a week from inside the district. That's a meme as well. Especially after the unfulfilled expectations of the last few seasons.

Tropicana field is pretty much right in downtown St. Petersburg, which is a pretty nice little area. The stadium location isn't their problem I don't think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St Pete is very nice. Tampa is fun. Not a baseball area unfortunately. Well, It's a Yankee area. They should have thought of that.

What arrogance, I can't think of a business that knock their customers for not buying more of their service other than professional sports.

Could you imagine Southwest knocking their customers for not filling their airplanes. Or Bruce Springsteen chastising his fans for not making a show a sell out. Or Chipotle lambasting their customers for not buying more Burritos. Or Toyota criticizing Americans for not buying more Camrys.

No one want to pay a lot of money to sit in the cold rain to watch games. Prices are up and people get to decide how to spend their money. Nothing obligates anyone to go to baseball games.

St Pete is very nice. Tampa is fun. Not a baseball area unfortunately. Well, It's a Yankee area. They should have thought of that.

I think it's a baseball area. It's just a lousy location. ANd a horrible facility/ Centcom is in Tampa, and no one dares say they aren't baseball fans.

As Baltimore fans stay away from Camden Yards in droves in April, in Tampa, outdoor baseball in July and August is tough because of weather.

But the Trop is terrible for every reason, except the team.

Orioles tickets are very inexpensive. You can go tonight for 15 bucks. Sit where you like. Friday is student night. Seven Bucks. Try something else.

Seems O's need to try something else. In Jupiter, Fl. home of Cards & Marlins, one can freely flow w/wristband in & out of park during games. O's could allow this for 1st week of season (except opening day) and maybe on bargain nites early in season.

Many attendees view the whole "experience" of going to "the game" - before, during, and after in decision making of how to spend $$. As with most leisure $$, successful proprietors look at the "guest experience" and are quick to adapt when necessary.

I think it's a baseball area. It's just a lousy location. ANd a horrible facility/ Centcom is in Tampa, and no one dares say they aren't baseball fans.

As Baltimore fans stay away from Camden Yards in droves in April, in Tampa, outdoor baseball in July and August is tough because of weather.

But the Trop is terrible for every reason, except the team.

I dare say it. Florida does not draw well for baseball at all. Except for spring training.

Seems O's need to try something else. In Jupiter, Fl. home of Cards & Marlins, one can freely flow w/wristband in & out of park during games. O's could allow this for 1st week of season (except opening day) and maybe on bargain nites early in season.

Many attendees view the whole "experience" of going to "the game" - before, during, and after in decision making of how to spend $$. As with most leisure $$, successful proprietors look at the "guest experience" and are quick to adapt when necessary.

It's against MLB rules unfortunately.

Homeland security also forbids this. During real baseball.

It is about the weather. I have tickets in my plan tonight that I exchanged for tomorrow. If it wasn't for my kids wanting to go to a game so bad I would have exchanged them for later in the season. If it was 80 degrees last night a nice walk up crowd happens.

You aren't getting big crowds this time of the year unless you have a huge season ticket base. The Orioles allow their season ticket holders to exchange their games and I am sure some did.

Archived