Machado Underrated?

Todd-O

If they can't sign him, do you just let him walk after his FA year?

I would definitely want the Orioles to wait until the 2018 trade deadline to trade him if the two sides can't come to an agreement. It's still early in the process though. People shouldn't panic yet. Derek Jeter, Joey Votto, Joe Mauer, Matt Kemp and a host of other players re-signed with their teams right before the year they were scheduled to hit free agency. So the situation will only become worrying if they fail to come to an agreement before Opening Day of the 2018 season.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buy out 2 yrs of arb and extra 2 years of FA but at a massive AAV on back end. Let him hit FA at 27 years old, and by that time he can probably get his 10/400 or something crazy from someone else, while we keep him for true prime.

That gets him over 500m total probably, and I can't see another way he could go about getting more total money.

I would definitely want the Orioles to wait until the 2018 trade deadline to trade him if the two sides can't come to an agreement. It's still early in the process though. People shouldn't panic yet. Derek Jeter, Joey Votto, Joe Mauer, Matt Kemp and a host of other players re-signed with their teams right before the year they were scheduled to hit free agency. So the situation will only become worrying if they fail to come to an agreement before Opening Day of the 2018 season.
Those guy didn't play for teams owned by PA. It's not early, it's way beyond too late.

Buy out 2 yrs of arb and extra 2 years of FA but at a massive AAV on back end. Let him hit FA at 27 years old, and by that time he can probably get his 10/400 or something crazy from someone else, while we keep him for true prime.

That gets him over 500m total probably, and I can't see another way he could go about getting more total money.

If you can't offer an opt out thats the best chance of holding on to him for few more years. What does he stand to make the next two years in arb. plus what he would expect as an AAV on a long term FA contract in 2018, but for just one or two years.

Archived