Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

Who's is everyone? The majority don't approve of an extension.

I'm not in favor of an extension.

I cited his hot start in my last post, but that was only because I thought that it was interesting in a historical contest.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there any hope that Jomar sticks at 3B?

Everything I've ever read about him says no chance. But I'm sure as a teenage pro though he's never really focused on his body with training and conditioning until this last offseason.

M

Huh? Nelson Cruz's career OPS was over 60 points higher when he was a FA than Trumbo's. He was older and had PED issue, but he was a significantly better hitter when he was a FA than Trumbo is now or likely to be at the end of the year. Neither player would ever get a contract based on defense, so who's worse in the outfield is meaningless.

I guess I was assuming that we were talking him continuing along the same statistical path this season. Otherwise, No. Trumbo is not getting a QO. And I was talking about when the Orioles signed him, not after his Oriole year.

Lately I have been reading that he is most likely to end up at 1B. Right now he is struggling to OPS .700 at Frederick, regardless of where he ends up on defense.

Sluggers sometimes take a while after they break that Hook of Hamate.

What are the chances Trumbo accepts a QO if he hit 35 HR with 880 OPS?

As has been mentioned sort of sporadically (this thread, he hit the Yankees while they're down thread, elsewhere), there's a good chance he could be the top FA first baseman this offseason. With those stats, I doubt he would accept the QO and would test the market. Almost without a doubt in my mind.

There's not to many guys that can turn on a 95 heater on the inner half like he did last night. That was beastly!

Apparently Edgar Martinez got Trumbo to shorten his swing last season with the Mariners. Trumbo finished the year with Seattle pretty hot.

Lately I have been reading that he is most likely to end up at 1B. Right now he is struggling to OPS .700 at Frederick, regardless of where he ends up on defense.

Doing pretty well for a 19 yo in high A, as opposed to say DJ Stewart who can't OPS .700 in low A as a 23 yo

Huh? Nelson Cruz's career OPS was over 60 points higher when he was a FA than Trumbo's. He was older and had PED issue, but he was a significantly better hitter when he was a FA than Trumbo is now or likely to be at the end of the year. Neither player would ever get a contract based on defense, so who's worse in the outfield is meaningless.

Older is more important than better when you're talking 35 vs 30.

Trumbo has an interesting hitting approach. He steps in the bucket on every pitch. Surprised he doesn't get exploited more on the outside half where he looks to have trouble.

He's way up on the plate though. And you saw against Severino, he can pull those hands in with the best of them and still get to the inside heater at 95. He's a big guy with long arms but it's hard to get it in on him unless its up and in. Early in the season, he's covering alot of the plate.

Archived