Jayson Stark on Manny

Frobby

To the original point of the thread: I feel joy watching Manny play. He's amazing. I'm so happy he's an Oriole.

To the contract musings: I don't think the O's can afford him and I would probably trade him before he reaches free agency if I was GM. Think of the prospect haul!! :) But seriously, if they are not going to have the cash to sign him then they must trade him before his walk year. Unfortunately it would be very Angelos-like IMO to keep him and then not be able to sign him.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me in the minority of those that would prefer not to extend Manny. He is incredible and is already a superstar at a young age. But with the numbers that are being thrown around here, I'd rather not incur that much risk. 35M, 40M AAV's are rediculous, bubble like numbers. I think some of us are so fearful of losing his production after 2018 that we would cash in the kids's college funds, reverse mortgage the house, etc., just to keep him.

I'd much rather forego the risk and trade him after we win the World Series this year for a haul that we can rebuild/reload around.

Count me in the minority of those that would prefer not to extend Manny. He is incredible and is already a superstar at a young age. But with the numbers that are being thrown around here, I'd rather not incur that much risk. 35M, 40M AAV's are rediculous, bubble like numbers. I think some of us are so fearful of losing his production after 2018 that we would cash in the kids's college funds, reverse mortgage the house, etc., just to keep him.

I'd much rather forego the risk and trade him after we win the World Series this year for a haul that we can rebuild/reload around.

If we are not going to go full bore and I mean full bore flat out crazy bonkers to sign Manny, I am definitely in the raid by trade camp. When is the tricky question.

If we are not going to go full bore and I mean full bore flat out crazy bonkers to sign Manny, I am definitely in the raid by trade camp. When is the tricky question.

I think the consensus is after this season. Two seasons of control left and acquiring team still gets comp pick after manny hits FA.

I think the consensus is after this season. Two seasons of control left and acquiring team still gets comp pick after manny hits FA.

It will be very hard to trade him right after he wins the MVP and we win the World Series. The fans will be wanting a repeat performance.

It will be very hard to trade him right after he wins the MVP and we win the World Series. The fans will be wanting a repeat performance.

It will absolutely be hard and while out ownership and management has sometimes failed to keep the emotion out of the business decisions, I think it's (the trade) far more of a no-brainer than it was to let Davis walk.

At the end of the day, PA will have to make a decision about whether he's willing to do what it takes to retain Manny. Frankly, I don't think there are many franchises that COULD pull a trigger on that contract. If we can't do it, and I'm advocating we don't purely from a roster flexibility standpoint, then you HAVE to get something more than a comp pick. Even if we are contenders in 17 and 18, we set our franchise up for success in the long run far more if we can net a haul after this season.

I'm sure most O's fans will have no problem with this lol

Of course people would have a huge problem with it. But that should matter far less than making the right decision when it comes to maximizing the talent on this team beyond 2018.

At the end of the day, we can cross this bridge when we get there, I suppose. Manny is till incredible and a pleasure to watch every night.

You can't trade Manny. You keep him until FA and bid farewell. There's too much love for him from the fanbase to trade and too expensive to sign long term. Enjoy it while it lasts!

I understand this sentiment. But if you have slim to no chance of signing him, get an epic haul. That epic haul could do far more for this team after 2018 than Manny will do in 17 and 18.

Manny may not out perform his FA contract like Adam has.

Ha well we can all be sure Manny won't be giving the O's a rediculous hometown discount like Adam did. And Manny is not going to extend now. We missed the opportunity for that, unfortunately.

Archived