Should Orioles Trade For Sonny Gray? (Astros should be talking To Oakland according to photog)

section18

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's hard to come up with a package Baltimore could offer that wouldn't include Machado. Maybe Gausman/Schoop gets you started, but there's like no high upside low-minors guys to fill in to a larger package.

Jomar wouldn't qualify?

Gausman, Schoop, Reyes and the comp B pick.

Not that I would do such a thing.

We have neither the depth or quality of players in our minor league system to trade for an elite cost-controlled starter, so I am confused as to why these ideas even get brought up.

James Shields in a salary dump type move (with the Pads taking back some salary) is more realistic.

We have neither the depth or quality of players in our minor league system to trade for an elite cost-controlled starter, so I am confused as to why these ideas even get brought up.

James Shields in a salary dump type move (with the Pads taking back some salary) is more realistic.

How about instead of money they take Gallardo?

How about instead of money they take Gallardo?

Shields is owed 21 million over the next three seasons. If we are going to assume Gallardo's actual value is zero, I think that trade is fair. That would have us paying essentially 10 million over each of the next two years and 21 mil in 2018.

It's hard to come up with a package Baltimore could offer that wouldn't include Machado. Maybe Gausman/Schoop gets you started, but there's like no high upside low-minors guys to fill in to a larger package.

And for this reason I don't strive to compete with whatever package Houston is putting together. They have them outmatched.

Jomar wouldn't qualify?

Gausman, Schoop, Reyes and the comp B pick.

Not that I would do such a thing.

For 3.5 years of 200 IP, 3.5 FIP? Maybe. Gausman's stock is sub-optimal until Baltimore lets him prove he is a good MLB pitcher.

Machado gets you three Grays.

Machado gets you three Grays.

You might be able to do Machado for Gray straight up considering the extra year of control for Gray and the fact Gray is in a *much* better position to extend on the cheap than is Machado.

You might be able to do Machado for Gray straight up considering the extra year of control for Gray and the fact Gray is in a *much* better position to extend on the cheap than is Machado.

I'm not as optimistic as some are here the Orioles work out a deal with Machado. For that reason this worth considering.

I'm not as optimistic as some are here the Orioles work out a deal with Machado. For that reason this worth considering.

I'm not optimistic at all. But I am not trading a potential HOF for a pitcher. Any pitcher. You trade him for a haul. Not for Sonny. And Oakland does not want to pay Sonny, or Manny.

I'm not optimistic at all. But I am not trading a potential HOF for a pitcher. Any pitcher. You trade him for a haul. Not for Sonny. And Oakland does not want to pay Sonny, or Manny.

No, I don't believe they do. However, the way that organization is run they get just enough mileage out of Manny before flipping him for a haul.

Archived