Manager Decisions Thread

Three Run Homer

He took a big picture approach tonight when tomorrow is more than likely getting rained out. I don't get it myself but I think that was the reason.

Perhaps he also wanted to see TJ in a big spot vs lefties and didn't want to burn an arm for 2 batters to start yet inning. As I said in the game thread he manages differently later in the year.

That experiment should have ended a couple of years ago. TJ has always struggled with inherited runners. He only seems to do okay when he gets to start off an inning. High leverage situations are not his thing. I don't understand why Buck continues to do this year in and year out with him.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That experiment should have ended a couple of years ago. TJ has always struggled with inherited runners. He only seems to do okay when he gets to start off an inning. High leverage situations are not his thing. I don't understand why Buck continues to do this year in and year out with him.

Sometimes you can't avoid using pitchers with men on base. Buck manages his pen different this time of the year. He uses guys when he thinks they need work. As the season goes on his strategy changes. I don't think Buck will have TJ pitching in spots like tonight very often.

Those 96 pitches were some of the laborious 96 pitches I've seen... helped enormously by fantastic defense to get out of jams.

You have to be smart enough to recognize that just because he was under 100 doesn't mean he wasn't laboring. One of the rare head scratchers Buck makes during the season.

It was genuinely tiring to watch Gallardo pitch tonight wasn't it? I think Buck understands very clearly how exposed he is with this rotation.

Not if he puts him back out there for the seventh AND allows 2 batters to reach before hes yanked.

Orioles starters have averaged 5.0 innings over the first 10 games of the season. Not enough is my point and I think Buck understands that. I agree that Buck should have recognized Gallardo was living on borrowed time and brought someone else out to begin the seventh. In retrospect I'm not sure it would have made a difference for this game but that's what I would have done. I don't think this is the last time we see a game like this.

Ummm, Buck was playing the Left hand/Right hand game. He was hoping Gallardo could make it through two batters before gonig to McFarland.

It didn't work out.

The first guy up that Gallardo walked was LH and the 2nd was DeShields who already doubled once and nearly homered in the at bat previously.

I agree with the consensus about the poor decision to put Gallardo back in. And this is something that Buck has a true blind spot about through all the years he has been here.

It may be his only true flaw in an otherwise sterling managerial repertoire. Gallardo was not somebody I wanted us to sign in the first place and he looks worse than I

expected (which was not much frankly). I really think his shoulder is gradually getting more and more frayed and if he lasts the entire season, I will be surprised.

It would have been sooooo nice to have Andrew Miller out there last night rather than TJ McFarland. Oh well, onward boys!!!

I suppose that when a pitcher finishes any inning after the fifth ( The Sixth) with an eight pitch inning irregardless of pitch count they should be pulled.

Gallardo just came off his best inning pitch count wise. He had been improving as the game progressed as far as Velocity. I also think that when he walked the first batter in the Seventh with FOUR pitches that he should have been pulled but this to me is also as this thread supposes, Perfect HINDSIGHT. I think this would have allowed him a chance for the WIN but not susceptible for the loss. He could have brought in Givens or Bundy to face DeShields and worked the bullpen from there.

The first guy up that Gallardo walked was LH and the 2nd was DeShields who already doubled once and nearly homered in the at bat previously.

What kelsey59 said was accurate though. Texas could have pinch for the number 9 hitter.

Friday he uses O'day, Brach and Britton up by 5+ runs, which I thought was strange

Saturday he tries to get Gallardo into the 7th, and then goes to Givens (not Brach or O'day)

in a close game? It looked like he didn't want to use Brach or O'day on consecutive days, so why did

he waste them with a five run lead?

And this is with the Sunday game predicted to be a rain out and an off date on Monday

Seems like he was making decisions based on some master plan of getting everyone into a

certain amount of games, and lost focus on actually trying to win a game.

Archived