Player Nicknames

canonfaz

• 2 years later...

Bump...it’s “player’s weekend” and teams are breaking out the jerseys with nicknames chosen by the players.    I find it interesting that Manny is dropping the “Mr. Miami” he wore last year in favor of “El Ministro.”    

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bump...it’s “player’s weekend” and teams are breaking out the jerseys with nicknames chosen by the players.    I find it interesting that Manny is dropping the “Mr. Miami” he wore last year in favor of “El Ministro.”    

Orioles
Pedro Araujo: "EL MONTRO"
Tim Beckham: "SWAGGY"
Richard Bleier: "DICKIE B."
Dylan Bundy: "DILLY"
Cody Carroll: "CC"
Andrew Cashner: "CASH"
Miguel Castro: "VILLA HERMOSA"
Alex Cobb: "COBB"
Chris Davis: "CRUSH"
Paul Fry: "PAPA FRITA"
Craig Gentry: "GENT"
Mychal Givens: "TONY"
Donnie Hart: "D. HART"
David Hess: "HESSER"
Adam Jones: "LA GENTE"
Caleb Joseph: "CALE"
Trey Mancini: "BOOMER"
Jhan Marinez: "LA ELECTRICIDAD"
Renato Nunez: "TATO"
Jace Peterson: "PETEY"
Evan Phillips: "PHILLY"
Yefry Ramirez: "EL VARÓN"
Joey Rickard: "J-RICK"
Tanner Scott: "SCOTTIE"
Mark Trumbo: "TRUM"
Danny Valencia: "SLUGGER"
Jonathan Villar: "VILLI"
Steve Wilkerson: "BREEZE"
Mike Wright Jr.: "BIRD"
Austin Wynns "WINNIE"
Gabriel Ynoa: "EL TIGUERE"

Best: Papa Frita and Breeze

Worst: Cobb and Trum

Nicknames I want to know the story behind: Villa Hermosa and Tony 

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

Well that pretty much answers my question. Although I like the nicknames less now that they have simple explanations.

My given name and the name that people call me (in real life) have no connection.   I’ve had to explain it hundreds of times.  It’s not simple.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My given name and the name that people call me (in real life) have no connection.   I’ve had to explain it hundreds of times.  It’s not simple.  

Does it get old explaining it? I don't go by my given first name and I have to explain it all the time as well, it get's old for me at times and my explanation is simple. 

20 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Does it get old explaining it? I don't go by my given first name and I have to explain it all the time as well, it get's old for me at times and my explanation is simple. 

It really got old when I was in school and the teacher would make me explain it to the whole class on the first day.    As an adult, it’s not so bad.    Before caller ID, I’d know five seconds into a phone call if it was an unwanted call, because they’d address me by my given name that nobody uses.   

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
On 4/21/2016 at 10:56 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Former Washington Senator, St. Louis Brown, and Detroit Tiger Goose Goslin was elected to the Hall-of-Fame in 1968 ........ and he had to leave because the hotel that he was staying at told him that his room was booked for an upcoming convention. They said that they had told him beforehand that he could only stay for one night. Plus, there were no hotel or motel vacancies within a 20-mile radius of Cooperstown. Soooooooo, he had to leave !!!

He was literally kicked out of Cooperstown on the same day that he was inducted into it. O.o

I read that in one of my brother's baseball magazines, in 1977.

o

On 4/21/2016 at 11:45 PM, NashLumber said:

Great story.

I "borrowed" and never have given back my uncle's baseball book entitled "Big Time Baseball", (published in the early 50's, and was sort a catch-all child's book about baseball lore, the stars of the day, HOF inductees, and it is filled with those kinds of stories. There were also some funny cartoons scattered throughout. That, combined with a 33-RPM record called "Baseball's First 100 Years" (narrated by Curt Gowdy and Jimmy Stewart) sealed my love of the game.

Oh, and a 1971 coffee table book called "This Great Game", which was sort of an updated version of the book described above. The cover had someone on the Reds trying to break up a double play with Davey Johnson at second base. There was also a great article with Earl Weaver, which I think was later a part of his strategy book.

o

s-l1600.jpg

o

• Upvote 2