The Challenge Rule, and "Reviews"

OFFNY

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't the goal of replay to get the calls right? I'm sure no one would be complaining if Buck did this and it cost the opponent a run and benefited the Orioles. We'd be applauding it then, I'm sure. Get the call right. If the

call was overturned, I guess it was the right call to look at the replay. Just because the managers run out of challenges doesn't and shouldn't mean that bad calls can then go unchecked from there on out.

Isn't the goal of replay to get the calls right? I'm sure no one would be complaining if Buck did this and it cost the opponent a run and benefited the Orioles. We'd be applauding it then, I'm sure. Get the call right. If the

call was overturned, I guess it was the right call to look at the replay. Just because the managers run out of challenges doesn't and shouldn't mean that bad calls can then go unchecked from there on out.

if a manger is out of challenges, it should be end of the the story. The NFL seems to understand this rule. MLB doesn't seem to get it.

I would be:

Also, this is not just a complaint because of the fact that I cited the Blue Jays for doing this when playing against the Orioles.

I see this as a universal problem, not as a particular slight against the Orioles.

When Showalter and the Orioles ask for a "review" and they get it, it is just as wrong as when any other manager/team is granted it.

Also, saying that the the goal is not simply to get the calls right is oversimplifying the situation. Of course they want to get the calls right, but part of "getting the calls right" is to enforce the rules that are currently in effect, INCLUDING the challenge rules. Just as is the case in the NFL, there are reasons why a team loses its challenges after failing in a challenge attempt. Even more significantly, it is absurd to lay claim that a coach/manager is out of challenges when in fact, they are not.

As I stated previously, if MLB wants to simply have unlimited challenges, then they should come right out and say so instead of being disingenuous about it, and allowing managers access to it (unlimited challenges) by asking the umpires for a review and getting it anyway.

Either allow them limitless challenges or limit them. Take your pick MLB and stick by it.

I agree. If there is an issue here it's on MLB, not the managers. The managers can and should advocate for their team. MLB needs a consistent approach like the NFL. Something like two challenges (you get them back if the call is overturned) and potential home runs in the 9th inning or later.

I agree. If there is an issue here it's on MLB, not the managers. The managers can and should advocate for their team. MLB needs a consistent approach like the NFL. Something like two challenges (you get them back if the call is overturned) and potential home runs in the 9th inning or later.

Agreed.

It's annoying when the Orioles get calls overturned on " manager requested reviews," but it isn't the managers who enacted the rule as it currently stands. They are simply taking advantage of (what I perceive to be) a major oversight by MLB.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting the calls right is so overrated. It's a 162-game season, with games that last 3 hours each. That's 486 hours of baseball every season. Haggling over every little call in every game is tedious and pointless. Baseball drags on long enough. Sitting around watching a bunch of umpires with headsets on is terrible for the game.

Reynolds looked safe to me. I thought he got the plate. I also thought the catcher was blocking more of the plate than is allowed these days, but who knows what is allowed or not.

I think the author picked a poor example to complain about replay except for the length it took to get it right.

I do not think Tampa got jobbed from what I saw on that replay.

o

A New York City team ...... in their home park ...... has a home run taken away from them on a review !!!

But, it isn't the Yankees. :o

Mets' Wilmer Flores: Loses Home Run to Overturned Call

(RotoWire Staff)

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/mets-wilmer-flores-loses-home-run-to-overturned-call/

Wilmer Flores thought he had hit his 11th homer of the season in the bottom of the 9th inning, but it was overturned after the replay determined that it was fan interference.

Getting the calls right is so overrated. It's a 162-game season, with games that last 3 hours each. That's 486 hours of baseball every season. Haggling over every little call in every game is tedious and pointless. Baseball drags on long enough. Sitting around watching a bunch of umpires with headsets on is terrible for the game.

:clap3:

Pretty embarrassing that they even needed to go to replay on that. How did the umps ever miss that in the first place?

They actually blew the call, anyway.

They were correct in ruling that the fan reached into the field of play, and disallowing it to be a home run. However, replays from numerous angles showed that there was no way that Dahl was going to catch the ball. Unlike what happened with Tony Tarasco in the 1996 ALCS when he was camped directly underneath the ball and waiting for it to come down into his glove, Dahl was nowhere near being able to catch the ball. His position was significantly away from where the ball would have landed had the fan not interfered. And in such case, the correct ruling would have been a ground-rule double (along with the fan being ejected from the game for interfering with a ball that was in play.)

Archived