Britton explains why Arrieta flourished in Chicago

BillickFan

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FWIW, Arrieta made 6 relief appearances for the Orioles in 2012, and gave up 10 ER in 13.1 IP. Obviously that's a small sample size, though.

I don't remember that experiment. Obviously, it didn't go well. I throw my hands up. Why didn't we develop this guy who is now threatening to become historically great. It sucks.

Pretty damning statement from Zach. Adair may have certainly been part of the problem with Arrieta, but not the entire problem. I also believe Arrieta just needed a change of scenery, a fresh start somewhere. There were a lot of of good arms that have come through the system and not one of them have become a TOR at the major league level.

In fact, who was the last starter for the Orioles who was drafted and developed into an All-Star starter? Tillman made the All-star team but he wasn't drafted by us. He was basically developed though so he's the closest since what, Mike Mu$$ina?

I'm sure there is some truth there, but Arrieta did have a big lack of control at the time if I recall. He'd be good and then walk two guys or more. It wasn't that he was just using some subpar pitches and was getting hit around for a lack of another pitch.

So if you see what you view as an obvious, correctable flaw, such as DJ Stewart's stance, you should just back down if the player is reluctant to change?

You hire the "freaking" position coaches because they have had a history of success. You suggest they should be ignored if the player in question doesn't agree with them. Why even bother with coaches? Everyone can be like Timmy and Colby and just call dad when they run into trouble.

The entirety of the coaches success depends on the success of the player. The good ones earn the trust of the players and learn how to help them be successful. The "it's my way or the highway" doesn't work most of the time.

Archived