Buck's statement on Kim and tonight's game

LookitsPuck

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Kim could be a real contributor to the team. I think he is a professional hitter who would eventually figure things out and get on base, and probably give us a 750ish OPs. But right now Joey is looking better, and so I would be sticking with him until he starts to fade. I bet Buck thinks the same.

Whether or not his defense is bad, it's better than Kim's if only because he has better range. You disagree? and you can't say anything about the quality of his AB in comparison to Rickard after only 12 PA.

Due to Kim's nervousness being a factor in his shakiness out there right now, I can't commit to that. How much better will Kim be when he's not nervous? It's impossible to know and in order to find out, we have to play

him. Starting Kim against Odorizzi would have been setting Kim up for success. Whether he was successful or not, we'll never know. Sure, TB has a big outfield, but we have to find out whether or not he can handle big

outfields. What will we do? Shield him from the reality of large, difficult outfields or give him a chance to play in them to get accustomed to these parks and shake off the nerves? I think the answer is obvious.

With the 12 AB, it's less than Rickard, but 12 is not zero, either. Those 12 AB's have been scattered and he has stayed sharp and continued to improve anyway. That, to me, is impressive and gives those 12 ABs more

weight than statistics can show. It certainly gives weight to Daniel Kim when he said Kim is a fierce competitor and a guy that works very hard all the time. I can see it.

Due to Kim's nervousness being a factor in his shakiness out there right now, I can't commit to that. How much better will Kim be when he's not nervous? It's impossible to know and in order to find out, we have to play

him. Starting Kim against Odorizzi would have been setting Kim up for success. Whether he was successful or not, we'll never know. Sure, TB has a big outfield, but we have to find out whether or not he can handle big

outfields. What will we do? Shield him from the reality of large, difficult outfields or give him a chance to play in them to get accustomed to these parks and shake off the nerves? I think the answer is obvious.

With the 12 AB, it's less than Rickard, but 12 is not zero, either. Those 12 AB's have been scattered and he has stayed sharp and continued to improve anyway. That, to me, is impressive and gives those 12 ABs more

weight than statistics can show. It certainly gives weight to Daniel Kim when he said Kim is a fierce competitor and a guy that works very hard all the time. I can see it.

Pathetic. Lame. Right now Joey is the better player. We wan to win games..

The question is, who is Dan going to trade for that they need to move Kim? By then it should be clear that Rickard is better suited as a fourth outfielder and not an everyday leadoff guy.

Despite his big knock last night (without which it's another shutout loss) I agree. I root for the kid but this year he's struck out more often than Schoop, walked less often than Schoop (!) and seemingly never learned how to bunt. I think he can benefit the club,but it won't be by getting more ABs than everyone else.

Buck made the judgment that Kim wasn't good enough to make the team. Now, he makes the judgment that since he has to have him on the roster, he isn't good enough to play with any regularity. All those that are more able to make that judgment, please raise their hands.

You're a proponent of "we should always defer to those in charge" viewpoint. Please understand that others may not be so absolutist.

Buck made the judgment that Kim wasn't good enough to make the team. Now, he makes the judgment that since he has to have him on the roster, he isn't good enough to play with any regularity. All those that are more able to make that judgment, please raise their hands.

Well scouts and DD made judgement he was good enough to make team if you are more able to make judgement raise your hand. This board would be pretty boring if we never questioned any of the Orioles staff decisions.

Since when has Kim become Brooks Robinson?! Gosh the guy has played in 4 games this year...why are people even debating this at this point? Rickard had the better Spring, is faster and better defensively, and has earned the chance to continue starting. If he falters, sure, then bring in Kim. But right now, there are no viable reasons as to why Kim would be in the lineup. Reimold could play RF, Trumbo could DH, Alvarez could DH, where exactly do people want to play Kim?

Since when has Kim become Brooks Robinson?! Gosh the guy has played in 4 games this year...why are people even debating this at this point? Rickard had the better Spring, is faster and better defensively, and has earned the chance to continue starting. If he falters, sure, then bring in Kim. But right now, there are no viable reasons as to why Kim would be in the lineup. Reimold could play RF, Trumbo could DH, Alvarez could DH, where exactly do people want to play Kim?

Couldn't you write that exact paragraph about every bench player in the history of baseball? Nolan Reimold is probably worse than Rickard and Trumbo, he may not be as good a hitter vs. RHP as Alvarez... why is he ever going to play? Ryan Flaherty isn't as good as Manny or Hardy or Schoop in pretty much any aspect of the game. Why has he been an Oriole for going on four years? Why has he ever gotten into a game? Why do we even have 25-man rosters?

Kim will play to give others rest. He will play when someone has a minor injury. He will play when there are favorable matchups. He will play when Buck gets visions from God or at least the baseball gods.

Couldn't you write that exact paragraph about every bench player in the history of baseball? Nolan Reimold is probably worse than Rickard and Trumbo, he may not be as good a hitter vs. RHP as Alvarez... why is he ever going to play? Ryan Flaherty isn't as good as Manny or Hardy or Schoop in pretty much any aspect of the game. Why has he been an Oriole for going on four years? Why has he ever gotten into a game? Why do we even have 25-man rosters?

Kim will play to give others rest. He will play when someone has a minor injury. He will play when there are favorable matchups. He will play when Buck gets visions from God or at least the baseball gods.

I understand the overall point you are making but I don't agree that probably is the correct term to use here.

I understand the overall point you are making but I don't agree that probably is the correct term to use here.

I think it's an open question, but I can see how someone would take Reimold over Rickard. I'm on the fence, but Rickard clearly has an edge in youth and potential and probably defense and health.

I think it's an open question, but I can see how someone would take Reimold over Rickard. I'm on the fence, but Rickard clearly has an edge in youth and potential and probably defense and health.

I am speaking of this season not what follows.

Probably means a greater than 50% likelihood and I don't think that is at all the case.

I am speaking of this season not what follows.

Probably means a greater than 50% likelihood and I don't think that is at all the case.

It's close. Reimold's record is so all over the place it's hard for me to believe he'll be productive and healthy. I think Rickard ends up with decent performances, out-doing his Steamer, Zips, etc by a bit.

It's close. Reimold's record is so all over the place it's hard for me to believe he'll be productive and healthy. I think Rickard ends up with decent performances, out-doing his Steamer, Zips, etc by a bit.

Early going has Rickard as below replacement both by rWAR and fWAR.

Archived