Orioles To Attend Tim Lincecum Showcase, But There's A Catch-22

PressBoxOnline

Stan "The Fan" says Tim Lincecum would be an intriguing option for the Orioles, but the better his May 6 showcase goes, the higher the likelihood he returns to the Giants.https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/05/03/orioles-to-attend-tim-lincecum-showcase-but-theres-a-catch-22

Jake Peavy got roughed up a little bit by the Reds today. Further, he's having a poor year overall. I could see a reunion between Tim and the Giants.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/5019/jake-peavy

The two-time NL Cy Young winner explained to Passan that the uncertainty surrounding his hip prior to undergoing surgery was unfamiliar territory after he felt “invincible” on the mound earlier in his career. “Now I kind of have an idea of the tools I get to work with and how to stay within myself and at the same time be dynamic,” said Lincecum to Passan. “I want to be explosive with certain parts of the body and not be apprehensive. It has taken time to get there.” Passan outlines Lincecum’s current workout regime, and Lincecum makes it clear to the Yahoo scribe that he is set on joining a rotation at this time. Heyman, meanwhile, lists an extensive number of clubs that will attend the workout, including the Giants, Dodgers, A’s, Rangers, Cubs, White Sox, Padres, Orioles, Nationals and Marlins. Additionally, the Pirates will have talent evaluators in attendance for Lincecum’s showcase on Friday, Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review tweets. And, notably, Heyman adds that the Yankees aren’t expected to be in attendance.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/05/tim-lincecum-showcase-may6.html

Broken record alert. The Orioles threshold for a physical is relative to the contract. A pitcher could show a torn ligament and they wouldn't care if he threw well and signed a minor league contract. Just what kind of contract Lincecum signs is questionable.

Broken record alert.

If you are a pitcher and have multiple suitors why would you pick the one with the 1) most stringent physical and 2) the history of leaking results of said physicals?

My point was that the O's will be less attractive than other potential suitors. We have already heard reports of the O's physicals being a point of concern for pitchers.

Broken record alert. The Orioles threshold for a physical is relative to the contract. A pitcher could show a torn ligament and they wouldn't care if he threw well and signed a minor league contract. Just what kind of contract Lincecum signs is questionable.

I thought I read somewhere where Lincecum said he would not consider signing a minor league deal?

I did find this on MLBTR and thought it was amusing:

Lincecum makes it clear to the Yahoo scribe that he is set on joining a rotation at this time

What Tim Lincecum wants and what Tim Lincecum gets could be two different things. Then again, there is probably someone who will give him that opportunity. I would think he's going to need some time on rehab even if it's a ML contract.

My point is that the Orioles would place less empahsis on the results of a physical based on the monetary handout. They didn't like Gallardo's physical and yet guaranteed him 22M. For a 1 year - 5M contract they would ignore some things that they wouldn't ignore on a multi year contract.

My point is the perception of the O's physical among the baseball playing community is that it is a headache you want to avoid if you have other options.

I'm not saying the O's would fail him, I'm saying he would probably prefer not to risk it.

Archived