Kim is slow?

BirdAttack

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to Kim's start, my kids now know the batting average record is .440. No, I don't count Long Levi Meyerle's .492, that was in a 132 PAs in a league on par with wherever Hobgood is playing. And no, just because the folks in 1887 counted walks as hits and said Tip O'Neill hit .490 doesn't mean we have to.

Did any of Hugh Duffy's plate appearances for the 1894 season get adjusted/changed recently?

I could have sworn that I read that he batted .438 that season in a baseball history book.

Cool stuff. I recognize all of the cards except for the center middle of what appears to be Frank Robinson. Can you post photo of just it? Is that a 3D card of Brooks on the right side?

You took much better care of your program. The cover has almost detached from mine. Game 7 was approximately the 5th game I ever attended and we sat in the bleachers. I didn't keep my ticket, but I recall the seats having a cost of $6, which seemed very expensive at the time.

That is a 3D of Brooks. I think Raisin Bran and Post (?) had those in a series. I also have somewhere a Hall of Fame 3-D collection from about '73 with guys like Cobb, Wagner, Gehrig, etc. Those were my pride and joy then and probably the first thing I ordered from a cereal company (box tops proof of purchase) outside of the Banana Seats hand puppets!

The Frank card is a Post and Topps collaboration from recent years. A friend gave me that one. Here's a bit more detail on all of them. The '71 collection (with '70 action photos and postseason highlights) was my first year of collecting and it coincided with my first year of organized youth league. I don't have mine in books or anything, but I no longer have rubber bands around them or put them in bicycle spokes ;)

fc6dd685859717e549b70a719398ee4f.jpga7534eea71b14a017fce083c95c3933d.jpg2496fd206e06ea2506a2c698d99d996e.jpge9877f00fd5aa67e486651357c0dc3c8.jpg843a1c312eba40f1fbbca88081cb7a9c.jpg

Kim isn't the O's most valuable player or anything, but he's developed from "probably a complete waste of $7 million" to "might get most of our money's worth, especially if we have to play him a lot due to someone getting injured".

Having him play once or twice a week isn't a good way to get value out of him, but we'll get to see just how good he really is with regular ABs if injury strikes the guy(s) in front of him.

He might not be the best player, but it seems like he puts his full effort on every play.

I only saw him for a short period of time, but he might eventually take the starter job regardless of any injury.

Did any of Hugh Duffy's plate appearances for the 1894 season get adjusted/changed recently?

I could have sworn that I read that he batted .438 that season in a baseball history book.

Yea, when I was young the record was .438. I'm sure they corrected some accounting errors that pushed it up two points. I was not happy when they discovered Willie Keeler actually hit .424 instead of .432 in 1897. But the truth's the truth.

I remember reading about people arguing that errors like that should go uncorrected because the number means too much. Probably when they discovered a 191st RBI for Hack Wilson in 1930. I think those people are silly. I want the truth.

Yea, when I was young the record was .438. I'm sure they corrected some accounting errors that pushed it up two points. I was not happy when they discovered Willie Keeler actually hit .424 instead of .432 in 1897. But the truth's the truth.

I remember reading about people arguing that errors like that should go uncorrected because the number means too much. Probably when they discovered a 191st RBI for Hack Wilson in 1930. I think those people are silly. I want the truth.

I hate it that Ichiro has the RBI record when he did it in 8 more games - should be a Maristerisk! :cussing:

I hate it that Ichiro has the RBI record when he did it in 8 more games - should be a Maristerisk! :cussing:

You mean the hit record? I don't mind it much, since Sisler never had to face anyone from a minority group or a decent reliever. That has to be worth 50 games.

Or anything close to the level of fielding.

This will probably elicit any number of hateful and bitter responses but MLB prior to WWII probably wasn't as good as the NBP is today, and prior to 1900 was probably on par with the Atlantic League just with much worse facilities. I think there are several documented cases of paying customers getting into MLB games in the 1800s.

Steroids aside, Raffy is still one of my favorite O's

Thank you for the info. I like Raffy too. As for the fans that

don't like Kim or other players that's fine. Their choice. For

me though any player wearing the black and orange is okay

by me.

Thank you for the info. I like Raffy too. As for the fans that

don't like Kim or other players that's fine. Their choice. For

me though any player wearing the black and orange is okay

by me.

I agree. He's wearing the Orange and Black and by all accounts he's a hard worker and a good teammate. I respect the guy and am rooting for him.

There is a picture of Hugh Duffy with Ted Williams in the book My Turn at Bat, with Duffy pointing to a .438 on a chalkboard or some such that was taken in 1941. Duffy was only 5'7", but he'd shrank a little more by the time that picture was taken (he was 74).

If you haven't read that book, it's not only great baseball, but it gives real insight into Williams. I get the impression he wrote it as a rebuttal to the press, but it's easy to get to the end and think "yeah, he was kind of a *****." The book included a picture of him spitting towards the press box after a home run, something that was apparently a regular occurrence. There's also a description of some extra-curricular pigeon hunting he and Yawkey did together inside Fenway one season. Ted took offense to the fact Yawkey's name was not mentioned in an article written about that hunting trip..

From what I've seen of Kim, I think he should be getting the majority of starts in left field. He could possibly also hit leadoff. Watching him perform has undermined my confidence in Showalter/Duquette's ability to evaluate players fairly.

There is a picture of Hugh Duffy with Ted Williams in the book My Turn at Bat, with Duffy pointing to a .438 on a chalkboard or some such that was taken in 1941. Duffy was only 5'7", but he'd shrank a little more by the time that picture was take (he was 74).

If you haven't read that book, it's not only great baseball, but it gives real insight into Williams. I get the impression he wrote it as a rebuttal to the press, but it's easy to get to the end and think "yeah, he was kind of a *****." The book included a picture of him spitting towards the press box after a home run, something that was apparently a regular occurrence. There's also a description of some extra-curricular pigeon hunting he and Yawkey did together inside Fenway one season. Ted took offense to the fact Yawkey's name was not mentioned in an article written about that hunting trip..

I read that book as a kid, checked out from the library. I think I remember that picture. I probably should read that again.

There is a picture of Hugh Duffy with Ted Williams in the book My Turn at Bat, with Duffy pointing to a .438 on a chalkboard or some such that was taken in 1941. Duffy was only 5'7", but he'd shrank a little more by the time that picture was taken (he was 74).

I had totally forgotten about that photo of Duffy. That was the first book about Ted Williams I ever read. Made a big fan out of me. I've since read two others, but I haven't gotten to the more recent one.

Archived