So, managers can still manage after being ejected?

Aglets

My recollection is that non-enforcement of this rule was brought up from time to time when Earl, the master of the rulebook, after a game from he was tossed would deny with a wink that that he had continued to call the shots from the runway or clubhouse. ;) I think the rule was then changed to allow the manager to return after being ejected if he wore a really good disguise. https://www.truesportsfan.com/sixteen-years-ago-bobby-valentine-put-on-a-fake-mustache-after-being-ejected/ :rolleyes:

In light of Girardi's decision to bring in Barbato to pitch the 10th, I don't think he added a lot of value by managing the team after his ejection. :laughlol:

Can you image with TV cameras, cell phones and instant text messages, how easy one could remote manage, even back in the clubhouse?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this not a part of the official Rules anymore?

(4.07)

"When a manager, player, coach or trainer is ejected from a game, he shall leave the field immediately and take no further part in that game. He shall remain in the club house or change to street clothes and either leave the park or take a seat in the grandstand well removed from the vicinity of his team's bench or bullpen."

How would you like MLB to enforce this? Station a guard with the ejected manager to ensure no communiques between bench and clubhouse?

Actually, Earl wrote the book on managing the team, after being ejected. :)
My recollection is that non-enforcement of this rule was brought up from time to time when Earl, the master of the rulebook, after a game from he was tossed would deny with a wink that that he had continued to call the shots from the runway or clubhouse. ;) I think the rule was then changed to allow the manager to return after being ejected if he wore a really good disguise. https://www.truesportsfan.com/sixteen-years-ago-bobby-valentine-put-on-a-fake-mustache-after-being-ejected/ :rolleyes:

In light of Girardi's decision to bring in Barbato to pitch the 10th, I don't think he added a lot of value by managing the team after his ejection. :laughlol:

You could tell Earl was about 10 feet into the tunnel running stuff because of the clouds of smoke. I think Earl enjoyed being tossed because he could manage and get his nicotine fix at the same time.

You'd have to either have someone stationed with the manager to make sure he's not messaging people (managers aren't allowed cell phones in the dugout anyway right?) or have someone in the dugout/clubhouse making sure nothing is being relayed.

I'm also ok with repealing the rule I guess.........but my preference is that if a rule exists it probably should be enforced.

You'd have to either have someone stationed with the manager to make sure he's not messaging people (managers aren't allowed cell phones in the dugout anyway right?) or have someone in the dugout/clubhouse making sure nothing is being relayed.

I'm also ok with repealing the rule I guess.........but my preference is that if a rule exists it probably should be enforced.

Considering IPADs and Apple watches are now allowed in the dugout.

How would you like MLB to enforce this? Station a guard with the ejected manager to ensure no communiques between bench and clubhouse?

We engineers say that a requirement that isn't testable isn't a requirement at all. Likewise, I'd say a rule that is unenforceable and that is nearly impossible to determine if it's being followed isn't really a rule at all.

We engineers say that a requirement that isn't testable isn't a requirement at all. Likewise, I'd say a rule that is unenforceable and that is nearly impossible to determine if it's being followed isn't really a rule at all.

There is a rule about using cameras and long distance lenses to steal pitching signs, but team do it. :laughlol:

You could put a penalty box enclosed by a Faraday cage somewhere in plain sight and put all ejected personnel inside. If anyone really thought it was important.

Archived