So, managers can still manage after being ejected?

Aglets

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heh, yea, this line of inquiry makes me of course wonder what Buck does during his ejections.

Seems like this is one of those rules that exists on paper but is actually meaningless.

Kind of like the one that describes the strike zone! :wedge:

Thanks everyone! I'll be here all week!

I am sure Earl and BS did, does the same thing. However, they were smart enough not to talk about it after the games.

That is correct. He was ejected 8 times out of 169 games, which is 4.73% of the games he managed.

Well he worked with Earl all those years and the team wasn't good. I'd guessed Earl but had a feeling it'd be a trick question. I'd love to see how ejections actually happen more. Outside that one Earl clip, I haven't seen any but then again it's fun to imagine what they're saying(I can't lip read). Glad to see Girardi have a decision cost him. I don't like that guy.

Well he worked with Earl all those years and the team wasn't good. I'd guessed Earl but had a feeling it'd be a trick question. I'd love to see how ejections actually happen more. Outside that one Earl clip, I haven't seen any but then again it's fun to imagine what they're saying(I can't lip read). Glad to see Girardi have a decision cost him. I don't like that guy.

Thank God he turned the Orioles down for the open manager slot before Buck took it.

I think it's hard to both be a likeable guy and have a Davey Johnson on your resume (being fired the year you're named manager of the year).

I think it's hard to both be a likeable guy and have a Davey Johnson on your resume (being fired the year you're named manager of the year).

Yeah I heard his personality played a role in his canning in Miami. That said, the Yanks were smart to go with him over Mattingly who coincidentally now manages the Marlins. Now if Joe can get fired and manage the Dodgers, we'll go full circle.

Thank God he turned the Orioles down for the open manager slot before Buck took it.

Not exactly. Girardi turned down the Orioles manager slot in 2007, when they fired Sam Perlozzo. They ended up going with Dave Trembley for the next three years (and Juan Samuel as an interim manager in 2010) before Buck took over.

For as much as dislike Girardi, I think he would've been a better manager than Trembley during those years. But it's true that the O's might never have hired Buck if they'd had Girardi still around in 2010.

Drungo or any of other people who know a ton, do you guys know what player has the dubious distinction of most ejections? We know that Cox has the manager record but the player record is something I'm curious about too. This gets me thinking about another topic. Brawls. My dad's mother when I was a kid used to tell me about her Dad took her brother, sisters, and her to Pirates games at Forbes Field and what she remembered the most was the brawls. That was the 1910's and 1920's and I think brawls were far more frequent in those days.

Not exactly. Girardi turned down the Orioles manager slot in 2007, when they fired Sam Perlozzo. They ended up going with Dave Trembley for the next three years (and Juan Samuel as an interim manager in 2010) before Buck took over.

For as much as dislike Girardi, I think he would've been a better manager than Trembley during those years. But it's true that the O's might never have hired Buck if they'd had Girardi still around in 2010.

It was Valentine though that turned us down before we hired Buck though, right Paul? I know the other finalist for the job was Eric Wedge who wasn't terrible but had nowhere near the pedigree that Buck did. I have no idea what Wedge has been doing since Seattle let him go but Buck was the right hire.

Archived