So, managers can still manage after being ejected?

Aglets

What is clear, though, is that non-uniformed personnel cannot come onto the field. So, as a practical matter, a manager today has to be in uniform, so that he can delay the game while his video crew advises him whether to challenge an umpire's call.

Richie Bancells doesn't wear a uniform and he can come on the field. What's up with that?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks. I consider John Thorn to be the authoritative source on all things early baseball. That basically confirms that there was about a half century or more where the managerial responsibilities of a baseball team were evolving and changing and not consistent from team-to-team even in the same eras.

I met Thorn at GMU a few years back when he was doing a signing. Really neat guy. I mentioned that I drove my parents nuts by always getting the Total Baseball book at the library but I read that thing like a bible and I also mentioned that I was a long suffering Orioles fan(this was in 2011 right before our drought ended) and he said well at least you're not a Pirates fan, I laughed and told him the Pirates are the closest I got to a second team due to my family's roots in Pitsburgh. This baseabll history stuff is cool. Very neat about Nash's acquaintance. As I said earlier, my grandmotehr always told us her dad was pals with Honus Wagner. My grandfather on the other side of the family said a few times his older brother had talent to make it as a pitcher but I don't know how I'd verify that. I never knew the great uncle in question and the extended family that well..

I met Thorn at GMU a few years back when he was doing a signing. Really neat guy. I mentioned that I drove my parents nuts by always getting the Total Baseball book at the library but I read that thing like a bible and I also mentioned that I was a long suffering Orioles fan(this was in 2011 right before our drought ended) and he said well at least you're not a Pirates fan, I laughed and told him the Pirates are the closest I got to a second team due to my family's roots in Pitsburgh. This baseabll history stuff is cool. Very neat about Nash's acquaintance. As I said earlier, my grandmotehr always told us her dad was pals with Honus Wagner. My grandfather on the other side of the family said a few times his older brother had talent to make it as a pitcher but I don't know how I'd verify that. I never knew the great uncle in question and the extended family that well..

I've never met Thorn, but I watched him speak at the SABR convention that was in DC a few years back. His Baseball In the Garden of Eden is excellent, and The Hidden Game of Baseball with Pete Palmer was groundbreaking.

I started regularly checking out the 1980 MacMillan Baseball Encyclopedia out of the local library when I was 10 or 11 and drove my parents nuts. One time they were trying to take a nap and I was running around the house quoting numbers and they said something like "That's nice, Jon, but I don't care how many triples Sam Crawford hit!" I still have the 1987 edition I got for my birthday when I was 16 or 17.

Archived