WAR, What is it good for?

weams

I can see if you are comparing it to a counting stat how you could say that. If the stat is used for comparison and it diminishes the impact of any grand slam, I'd have to say it becomes useless as you have stated.

I can imagine an alternate universe where the game is over when the odds of winning reach 95%. Three-run, one-inning saves basically don't exist. Not too different than a mercy rule.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depends on what picture you want to paint.

I think that WPA's viewpoint has to be put in the right context. It basically says you can stop trying once the score differential reaches a certain point.

I see. That picture does not capture me the same way that the other kinds do.

Jeter's WAR properly rates him, in my opinion. One of the worst defensive shortstops I've ever seen, and I felt that way long before advanced defensive metrics were widely available. He just had no range going to his left, and had abysmal footwork that made plays more difficult than they needed to be. He's a Hall of Famer because of his bat, but I've always felt that his defense cost Yankees pitchers a great deal. Many of them (Clemens, Johnson, Brown) seemed to get worse as soon as they arrived in NY, and then better again once they left.

Archived