Trumbo history

zkoutdoors

We're talking about 32 total games. It doesn't mean much. The weather has been bad at home. The pitchers faced might have been tougher at home. And then just add in plain old randomness.

Could very well be, but just for giggles, the actual team HR splits are 32 @ home and 24 on the road.

We're talking about 32 total games. It doesn't mean much. The weather has been bad at home. The pitchers faced might have been tougher at home. And then just add in plain old randomness.

Right. It does matter, though, in response to any notion that his HR total to date is simply the product of OPACY being a bandbox. SSS, but not even true in that SSS.

He has a 1.000+ OPS. OF course, he's helping this team tremendously. Jimmy Paredes helped this team tremendously for a month last year. Paredes is not the player Trumbo is, I'm just making a point. You are judging him on what he's done so far, which has been great. That's not what history tells us he is. History tells us he'll give you home runs, a low batting average and on base average, poor outfield defense. That all adds up to a player that is ok but no big deal. Right now, he's a big deal because he has a .323 average and a 1.000 OPS. How many people are banking on a full year of that or even a .900 OPS or even a .850 OPS. I'll right now bet that he finishes right around .800 if not below.

It's May 12. Let's see if Roy and some others are clamoring for resigning him to a multi year contract on October 12.

As someone else pointed out, Trumbo had a .965 OPS during the first half of 2012 with 22 homers and 57 RBI in 76 games. He had a .750 OPS coming into this year. Do the math and use some logic.

To your point, in another thread someone pointed out that Trumbo had a similarly hot start in 2012. In fact, that year he carried a 1.000+ OPS through 62 games. For the remainder of the season, he had a .664 OPS, finishing at .816 for the whole year.

With pretty much any player, you can't all in love with 32 games worth of stats, especially with a guy who has a prior 690-game history. I personally think Trumbo may have better statistics for us than he had playing in the AL West and NL West, where the stadiums tend to favor the pitchers, but no I do not expect him to post a 1.000 OPS this year, and .900 would surprise me. I'd be very happy if he was able to finish at .800-.850, as he did in 2012, even though that means he will have some cold spells. Overall, that will be on the high end of what I expected before the year began.

Archived