Bold Prediction: Jimmy Paredes

sportsfan8703

Paredes will not get DFA'd and will get into some games at 3rd until Hardy comes back. Janish is the Utility guy and Flaherty goes because he has an option.

Before we go ragging on his defense remember he did start games at 2nd base last year. The guy had arguably an All Star first half last year. His bat would be a welcome addition to the bottom of the lineup.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?

Paredes will not get DFA'd and will get into some games at 3rd until Hardy comes back. Janish is the Utility guy and Flaherty goes because he has an option.

Before we go ragging on his defense remember he did start games at 2nd base last year. The guy had arguably an All Star first half last year. His bat would be a welcome addition to the bottom of the lineup.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?[/QUOTE]Yes IMO.

You are crazy. Did you know Parades cost the Tides the game the other night with an error in the field? He's awful defensively, Buck will not start him at 3b. No chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems very unlikely.

Also we're really stretching the definition of 'all-star first half'

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=paredji01&year=2015&t=b

807 ops in 68 games definitely isn't bad, but as far as no-defense players go it's just barely staying viable.

It was a ruthian 40 PA in April (1.167 ops) and a merely good (considering he's a dh) 200 PA for May and June (~.790-.800 ops). If he had a glove that was merely below average or fairly negative, he could be a nice piece for 3b or 2b. As a dh, his bat isn't nearly strong or consistent enough to be more than a secondary option.

Not the most sabermetric stat but Paredes does only have 4 more errors than Flaherty at 3rd over 14 more Innings played there. 528 Innings at 3rd. I really like Flaherty. He had a great ST. Mashed in his few AB's in AAA. It's just not translating up here so far. SSS and all.

I guess we'll find out if he's an option if we see him start playing 3rd in AAA over his last two weeks of his rehab stint. Remember all offseason he worked on becoming an OF'er. He even played winter ball. The opening at 3rd just came about over the last week when Hardy got hurt. So there was no need to play him there before that.

It's a long shot most definitely. I really hope Flaherty starts making better contact and makes this a moot point.

On another note does anyone really expect Hardy back in the 6-8 week timeframe? The O's have a tendency to downplay how long players will be out for.

I see no advantage(s) bringing Paredes up at this time. He would not improve the defense anywhere on the field at this point.

As for hitting.. he's the classic example of starting off HOT, therefore getting every opposing scout/pitchers attention. When the pitchers found out he couldn't hit anything off-speed.. they went with it. He struggled mightily down the stretch, and lost his DH job. Until he shows he can hit (or stop flailing away at) the off-speed stuff, there is no sense in bringing him up.

My $00.02

Archived