Mets looking for 1B

pastorfan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure the Mets would be interested in Alvarez, but maybe we can make some sort of deal with them. I'd be willing to send them Trumbo, if we can get some pitching back, but it will take more than Trumbo to get a good starter.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/05/mets-expect-to-look-outside-organization-to-replace-lucas-duda.html

Absolutely no way to Trumbo.

A trade with the Mets for either Trumbo or Mancini seems bizarre to me. You know the O's aren't going to trade Trumbo, because he's a key for them being in the playoffs race. And Mancini may or may not be ready for the bigs now. A team in the playoffs hunt isn't likely to put their eggs in his basket with him having no big league experience.

You can close this thread and forget about the Mets. They're happy with Loney filling in at 1B this year, and (perhaps over optimistically) project some combination of Duda and David Wright playing there in the future. With the injuries to their starters, they no longer have a surplus of pitching to trade, and they're not going to part with any of their current starters.

I'm with you on trading Trumbo. His value will never be higher and the likelihood of resigning next year is minimal at best. As I've said here before, you could bring up Mancinin for some DH at-bats.

I could get on board with no trades as well although I have to admit that the possibility of adding a nice bat while dumping Jimenez is a great opportunity to take advantage of. Adding Upton could make dealing Trumbo more likely, no? We'll see. I'm not thrilled with giving up DJ Stewart to make the Upton deal work but I can think of worse scenarios.

I understand the general concept of dealing Trumbo when he's at his most valuable point, but he's an enormous part of the 2016 team's chances. If you think the offense would just make it work without his bat, I don't know what to say.

I understand the general concept of dealing Trumbo when he's at his most valuable point, but he's an enormous part of the 2016 team's chances. If you think the offense would just make it work without his bat, I don't know what to say.

Yeah, I'm with you. A team in a tight division race in late July should not be trading its leading HR hitter, should it? He's the type of guy the O's should be trying to *acquire* in this situation (meaning a productive and hot veteran - obviously we need pitching more than offense), not giving up. If we don't have the horses in the minors to get a solid starter, than I'd rather see DD just go with what we have rather than dig into the major league roster.

Yeah, I'm with you. A team in a tight division race in late July should not be trading its leading HR hitter, should it? He's the type of guy the O's should be trying to *acquire* in this situation (meaning a productive and hot veteran - obviously we need pitching more than offense), not giving up. If we don't have the horses in the minors to get a solid starter, than I'd rather see DD just go with what we have rather than dig into the major league roster.

Yeah, even if you can justify it on paper, it'd be a PR nightmare. Fans and teammates would be furious.

Funny that no one mentions replacing him with Upton which is a scenario I mentioned whereby his 16 HR's is not something to sneeze at on top of better defensive skills. I guess my line of thinking doesn't include a realistic chance in winning it all...seems like I'm in the vast minority on this. I don't think Bundy's starting pitching is sustainable (funny no one mentions this either) and I'm not yet sold on Gausman's consistency much less Gallardo or Worley. It's been a good 4-month stretch but I'm not yet sold nor am I even sure how much longer Bundy should be starting. In essence, I'm in many ways looking towards next season and beyond. Paint me as skeptical towards WS hopes. Maybe I'm wrong. Not many juggernaut's in the AL that stand in our path, actually unless Boston were to nab Sale or some other profound acquisitions from contenders.

Fixed that for ya! :P

Yes, the Cleveland series was great, but it's not like the O's haven't had other long(er) great stretches this season.

I agree , There is almost no chance that Trumbo is traded! Hopefully, DD and Angelos learned their lesson on Nelson Cruz and find a way to extend/resign Trumbo

Funny that no one mentions replacing him with Upton which is a scenario I mentioned whereby his 16 HR's is not something to sneeze at on top of better defensive skills. I guess my line of thinking doesn't include a realistic chance in winning it all...seems like I'm in the vast minority on this. I don't think Bundy's starting pitching is sustainable (funny no one mentions this either) and I'm not yet sold on Gausman's consistency much less Gallardo or Worley. It's been a good 4-day stretch but I'm not yet sold nor am I even sure how much longer Bundy should be starting. In essence, I'm in many ways looking towards next season and beyond. Paint me as skeptical towards WS hopes. Maybe I'm wrong. Not many juggernaut's in the AL that stand in our path, actually unless Boston were to nab Sale or some other profound acquisitions from contenders.

It's July 25th and you have already given up on a first place team? When would you throw in the towel if they were in 3rd place, April?

Archived