Can This Team Win A Championship The Way It's Constructed?

ORIOLE33

And this isn't just about today. Other than a few guys, this team simply can't hit. We can't run. And lately, we haven't been hitting HR's. I'm not being a prisoner of the moment. I had said to people that this team should sacrifice a few HR's for a few guys that can get on base and create havoc with their speed.

I look across the field and Boston seems to have the perfect mix of hitting, speed and power with above average pitching. They kind of remind me of the KC Royals. A team that gives us fits.

Hope I'm proven wrong, but I don't see it.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And this isn't just about today. Other than a few guys, this team simply can't hit. We can't run. And lately, we haven't been hitting HR's. I'm not being a prisoner of the moment. I had said to people that this team should sacrifice a few HR's for a few guys that can get on base and create havoc with their speed.

I look across the field and Boston seems to have the perfect mix of hitting, speed and power with above average pitching. They kind of remind me of the KC Royals. A team that gives us fits.

Not sure what you mean by "this team can't hit." That's silliness. The Orioles can certainly hit. They have a .767 OPS (not including today), which is second in the AL. They have 69 HRs, third in the AL. They're also much better than you think at getting on base -- their .323 OBP is third in the AL.

You're right that they don't run, but that's been true the past few years and it hasn't held them back. They had the fewest stolen bases in the majors in 2014 and sailed to the ALCS. (The team with the second-fewest SBs, the Giants, won the World Series that year.)

The O's certainly have the offense to get to the postseason. The pitching is what will make or break them.

The way MLB is structured, any team that can make the playoffs can win a championship.

Can this team make the playoffs? I think so, but it won't be easy. Great first two months of the season, but we haven't had many games yet against our toughest competitors.

Not sure what you mean by "this team can't hit." That's silliness. The Orioles can certainly hit. They have a .767 OPS (not including today), which is second in the AL. They have 69 HRs, third in the AL. They're also much better than you think at getting on base -- their .323 OBP is third in the AL.

You're right that they don't run, but that's been true the past few years and it hasn't held them back. They had the fewest stolen bases in the majors in 2014 and sailed to the ALCS. (The team with the second-fewest SBs, the Giants, won the World Series that year.)

The O's certainly have the offense to get to the postseason. The pitching is what will make or break them.

Other than Manny, Trumbo and to a lesser degree Kim, who has really been consistent in this lineup?

Other than Manny, Trumbo and to a lesser degree Kim, who has really been consistent in this lineup?

Manny, Trumbo, Davis, Wieters, and Schoop all have an OPS+ over 100 this year. Reimold and Kim have also hit well in limited playing time. And, again, the lineup as a whole is hitting HRs and getting on base at a decent clip. The offense is fine.

I don't think the pitching has been all that bad so far. Right now, I'm more concerned with AJ and Davis' lack of production.

The starting pitching outside of Tillman are an erratic work in progress, 2 rookies who at best are 5 slot starters, and a basket case whose mechanics are unworkable. Going forward they have already over performed imho. If not for the best pen in baseball, we would be lost. Jones and Davis will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manny, Trumbo, Davis, Wieters, and Schoop all have an OPS+ over 100 this year. Reimold and Kim have also hit well in limited playing time. And, again, the lineup as a whole is hitting HRs and getting on base at a decent clip. The offense is fine.

I should have added Reimold. He has looked good this year. As for Davis, I don't care what his OPS is, I see the games, Davis has disappointed this year. Schoop has been decent, but he's only hitting in the low 270's. Not exactly lighting it up. Weets has been hot of late.

Again, I hope I'm proven wrong.

This team is far superior to the Yankees. I have no idea if they can make their way to the playoffs and then navigate the luck fest to win it all.

I should have added Reimold. He has looked good this year. As for Davis, I don't care what his OPS is, I see the games, Davis has disappointed this year. Schoop has been decent, but he's only hitting in the low 270's. Not exactly lighting it up. Weets has been hot of late.

Again, I hope I'm proven wrong.

You aren't helping your argument when you cite batting average.

The way MLB is structured, any team that can make the playoffs can win a championship.

Can this team make the playoffs? I think so, but it won't be easy. Great first two months of the season, but we haven't had many games yet against our toughest competitors.

And any team that spends 200 million has a better shot.

I think we have a pathway but it will take a few stars aligning. Jones and Davis need to heat up. Kim needs to keep doing what he's doing. Gallardo needs to be at least decent. Gausman has to take the leap and be the guy he was his first three starts. If at least three of these happen, yeah, I think we could be a playoff team. Will we? I have no idea. I could see this team finishing anywhere from 1st to 4th.

I must say, it looks better than it did in March, largely on the strength of Gausman and Tillman. Both look to be massively improved over last year. I just don't know if it's enough.

I don't necessarily think Boston will be the team we end up chasing either. TOR and NYY definitely have a run in them.

Archived