Can This Team Win A Championship The Way It's Constructed?

ORIOLE33

I'm sure somebody will show some stats that tell you that the O's are no more inconsistent than anyone else.

I'm not a huge stats guy. I go by the eye test. I know baseball. From what I've seen, Boston is the most balanced team in this division and we have more flaws than they do.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very worried about this team. I don't think the lineup nor the starting rotation is capable of consistent production. I feel a cold spell coming on very soon.

When's the last time we had a legit leadoff guy who got on base and scored tons of runs? Brian Roberts? We don't have guys who get on base enough. It's feast or famine with this team. Jones is falling apart at age 30, about to be 31 real soon. I can't believe we gave JJ Hardy that contract, I knew he was over the hill last year.

I think we overpaid for Davis. I love the guy, but he simply doesn't get enough hits.

The rotation is mediocre at best. Can't believe we gave Gallardo $35 million.

I'm very worried about this team. I don't think the lineup nor the starting rotation is capable of consistent production. I feel a cold spell coming on very soon.

When's the last time we had a legit leadoff guy who got on base and scored tons of runs? Brian Roberts? We don't have guys who get on base enough. It's feast or famine with this team. Jones is falling apart at age 30, about to be 31 real soon. I can't believe we gave JJ Hardy that contract, I knew he was over the hill last year.

I think we overpaid for Davis. I love the guy, but he simply doesn't get enough hits.

The rotation is mediocre at best. Can't believe we gave Gallardo $35 million.

I can't believe it either.

But the reason I can't believe it is because they didn't give him 35M.

I strongly disagree with the whole premise "you just have to get in" to the playoffs.

You strongly disagree with what has shown to be normative then. The double wildcard changed your way of playing baseball. Even before with the intense specialization.

The "Hot pitcher" or Carlos Betran effect appears to be the way to win a championship. And we know Braun got nabbed for steroids during his playoff run. It would be foolish to think that teams that may cheat, won't cheat more come the dice roll season.

You strongly disagree with what has shown to be normative then. The double wildcard changed your way of playing baseball. Even before with the intense specialization.

Let's start with the Royals then, they def were red hot BUT they also traded for a starter, someone dominant I believe (and off to a nice start this year too) so that would explain why the SP stats are lower during the regular season and they could match up during the playoffs with the big boys.

Does our deep far system enable us to make this kind of move?

I do agree that the bullpen has becomes way more vital in playoff baseball, but starting pitching match ups are key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And this isn't just about today. Other than a few guys, this team simply can't hit. We can't run. And lately, we haven't been hitting HR's. I'm not being a prisoner of the moment. I had said to people that this team should sacrifice a few HR's for a few guys that can get on base and create havoc with their speed.

I look across the field and Boston seems to have the perfect mix of hitting, speed and power with above average pitching. They kind of remind me of the KC Royals. A team that gives us fits.

Hope I'm proven wrong, but I don't see it.

I think they can.

Let's start with the Royals then, they def were red hot BUT they also traded for a starter, someone dominant I believe (and off to a nice start this year too) so that would explain why the SP stats are lower during the regular season and they could match up during the playoffs with the big boys.

I do agree that the bullpen has becomes way more vital in playoff baseball, but starting pitching match ups are key.

Four of the past five World Series winners have added a starting pitcher for the stretch run. The fifth added Hunter Pence.

I'm going to take license and say that the team is constructed to win it all, providing they can add a piece at the trade deadline.

Would it be boring if I answered, "I don't know?" I need to see how the starting pitching is going to shake out over the season. Overall I don't see this as a team that is likely to go all the way based on what I've seen so far, but perceptions can change as the season progresses.

The team with the best record in baseball has won the World Series only five times in the Wild Card era (2013 Red Sox, 2009 Yankees, 2007 Red Sox, 2005 White Sox, 1998 Yankees). The playoffs are a lottery period. There really shouldn't even be a debate about it.

The team with the best record in baseball has won the World Series only five times in the Wild Card era (2013 Red Sox, 2009 Yankees, 2007 Red Sox, 2005 White Sox, 1998 Yankees). The playoffs are a lottery period. There really shouldn't even be a debate about it.

We saw that in this town, with the 83 team.

One thing that is somewhat misleading about looking at team's fWAR for their rotation, is the fact that TOR guys are used way more in the postseason, while your #5 starter may hardly pitch. This means that having a good #1/#2 guy matters a lot. Kind of like CC Sabathia being the difference maker in that 5 game series against the Yankees in the 2012 ALDS.

There are obviously exceptions and other factors, but having an ace (or two) really helps your chances in the playoffs. It's not just a crapshoot.

Gun to my head, I'd say the orioles make the playoffs this year, but not the WS. Hope I'm wrong and they go all the way.

Archived