Would you sign Matusz to a minor league deal?

Frobby

Should the O's sign Matusz to a MiL deal?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Should the O's sign Matusz to a MiL deal?

• Sure, the cost is nominal so why not?
    • No, I am completely done with the guy

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

It's hard to believe that we could have drafted Buster Posey over this guy.  Wow.

Yeah, and 24 teams drafted someone instead of Mike Trout.    What're ya gonna do?   It happens.   Nobody thought it was a bad pick at the time, and it didn't look bad until 2011.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, and 24 teams drafted someone instead of Mike Trout.    What're ya gonna do?   It happens.   Nobody thought it was a bad pick at the time, and it didn't look bad until 2011.

What does the team that drafted Smoak have to show for it?

1 hour ago, weams said:

What does the team that drafted Smoak have to show for it?

The first round of that draft produced a high number of players who reached the majors (37/46) but not any real stars besides Posey.    Put it this way: Brett Lawrie ranks 2nd in rWAR in that first round.

• 1 month later...

Matusz was released by the DBacks today after posting a 6.11 ERA in 11 AAA relief appearances.     I'll always wonder what happened to this guy.    In 2009-10 I thought he was our future ace.    Now it looks like his career may be over.  

He still managed to make $14 mm playing baseball.   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Matusz was released by the DBacks today after posting a 6.11 ERA in 11 AAA relief appearances.     I'll always wonder what happened to this guy.    In 2009-10 I thought he was our future ace.    Now it looks like his career may be over.  

Christian Walker has 10 HR and 42 RBI in 37 games for the DBacks AAA team.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The guy was just a good MLB reliever two seasons ago.  He was thriving with us.  Wonder if he got hurt or just stopped working out hard enough?  

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I know right.  He had that great stretch (I forget what year) where he looked like the 2nd coming of Cole Hamels.  Than the next season it just disappeared.

17 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Christian Walker has 10 HR and 42 RBI in 37 games for the DBacks AAA team.

Since it's the PCL, you have to take the stats with a grain of salt.   However, it's notable that he's 2nd in the league in homers and 1st in runs and RBI.

In other recently traded prospects news, Parker Bridwell has been converted back to a starting pitcher, and threw seven innings of one-hit shutout ball yesterday, facing the minimum number of hitters.   The previous start, he allowed 2 hits in 5 IP.   https://www.milb.com/pacific-coast/news/parker-bridwell-posts-seven-zeros-in-salt-lake-bees-one-hitter/c-230645612

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Since it's the PCL, you have to take the stats with a grain of salt.   However, it's notable that he's 2nd in the league in homers and 1st in runs and RBI.

The Reno Aces are hitting .309, and four of Walker's teammates are playing regularly and hitting between .336 and .391.  Someone named Oswaldo Arcia has a slash line of .387/.446/.802, good for a Bondsian 1.248 OPS.  Arcia's slugging percentage is higher than Walker's 2016 OPS.

Archived