2016 1st Round Pick - Cody Sedlock - RHP - Illinois

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't mind the IP late in the year. He talked about only being able to play baseball for 6 months a year in Illinois as a kid and how that has helped his arm compared to kids that play year round. Plus this was his first year starting. All it means is that we probably won't see him in Aberdeen this year and we'll just hold him off till 2017.

Crawford

27. Baltimore Orioles: Cody Sedlock, RHP, Illinois

Sedlock was rumored to go higher than this, and I do know that at least one team dropped Sedlock because of his high pitch counts this year. He boasts an above-average fastball/slider combination, and he'll show an average curve and change as well. Some think he's going to be a reliever, but I'd give him every chance to start, knowing that the bullpen is there if it doesn't work out.

Not a lot of tape out there on Sedlock, but from the interviews I've read, he shows a good understanding of pitching and in particular his own skillset. That bodes well. The clips I have seen show a couple breaking balls that could both be above average, and a fastball that sets them up pretty nicely. Haven't seen a change anywhere, but if the Orioles can help him develop one, you're looking at a guy with the prototypical starter's frame, with the durability to maintain velocity deep into starts, a good fastball with really heavy sink, and four pitches that could be ML average. Gotta like that.

His mechanics aren't picture-perfect (the front end in particular looks stiff and may put extra stress on the arm), but I wouldn't get too worked up about raw pitch counts or inning totals, unless he was being run out there on short rest to throw 120 pitches. TJ is TJ, and if it's going to happen, it'll happen. There's no evidence whatsoever that says limiting a guy to 90 pitches is going to prevent injury any better than letting the same guy throw 120 pitches.

I think he might compare to Scott Erickson better than Arrieta. Erickson was a beast in his prime.

Edit: Funny how you remember a player being better than he was because he played on some winning teams. Erickson ended up being a pretty average pitcher for the steroid era. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/ericksc01.shtml

I'd say he was a good pitcher from 1995 to 1999, at least respectable as a 2/3 guy.

I'd say he was a good pitcher from 1995 to 1999, at least respectable as a 2/3 guy.

Erickson was essentially what Zach Britton as a starter might be. Power sinker, less than pinpoint control and pretty bad secondaries. His slider was average and I think that was his second best pitch.

This guy seems to have a better upside, assuming that power sinker plays as reported in this thread. I like the pick because he seems like a guy who's highly probable to provide some real value, with upside as a starter. Like all pitchers, I just hope his arm holds up.

Don't mind the IP late in the year. He talked about only being able to play baseball for 6 months a year in Illinois as a kid and how that has helped his arm compared to kids that play year round. Plus this was his first year starting. All it means is that we probably won't see him in Aberdeen this year and we'll just hold him off till 2017.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rajsich said he assumes all 3 pitchers will start out at Class A short-season Aberdeen <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">June 10, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

27. Cody Sedlock, RHP, Baltimore

Proj. WAR thru age-27: 2.3

KATOH loves Cody Sedlock. Although Illinois squeezed a lot of innings out of him, he still pitched excellently by all measures. He missed lots of bats, and did an excellent job of keeping the ball in the park.

Archived