Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

o

FROM PAGE 18 (September of 2017)

On 9/4/2017 at 6:56 PM, Roy Firestone said:

I'm just repeating what one Oriole insider told me this week., It's someone who knows, and it's not Jim Palmer. They said that Harvey could be pitching for the Orioles by June next year ........ if he gets enough innings at AA-Bowie.

ROY FIRESTON))) ENOTSERIF YOR

o

o

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

FROM PAGE 18 (September of 2017)

ROY FIRESTON))) ENOTSERIF YOR

o

o

o

Roy said that his source said that June of 2018 was a possibility, PROVIDED that he pitches well at AA-Bowie.

It's only April, he hasn't thrown a pitch at AA-Bowie, and he has been called up.

You'd better tell that "source" of yours to get their head out of their ass, Roy. ll xD

o

20 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Roy said that his source said that June of 2018 was a possibility, PROVIDED that he pitches well at AA-Bowie.

It's only April, he hasn't thrown a pitch at AA-Bowie, and he has been called up.

You'd better tell that "source" of yours to get their head out of their ass, Roy. ll xD

o

I'm sorry, but above is a totally ignorant post.  Even if the intent was to be humorous, it backfired. 9_9 Pay no attention to the fact that the O's burned out the bullpen in 2 extra inning games in NY and what may have been true 7 months ago isn't the case now with the Orioles looking for relief.  I rarely post any more, but feel free to do a Johnny Mnemonic and dig up some old post of mine to take apart.  What does one get for "winning the internet" these days?  Ciao

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

I'm sorry, but above is a totally ignorant post.  Even if the intent was to be humorous, it backfired. 9_9 Pay no attention to the fact that the O's burned out the bullpen in 2 extra inning games in NY and what may have been true 7 months ago isn't the case now with the Orioles looking for relief.  I rarely post any more, but feel free to do a Johnny Mnemonic and dig up some old post of mine to take apart.  What does one get for "winning the internet" these days?  Ciao

o

It was half-serious, half-kidding.

And you obviously have a serious chip on your shoulder.

Even if the Orioles had not had the exceptionally dire circumstances that prompted them to call Harvey up yesterday, there would still be at least a decent chance that they would have called him up in June had he pitched well at AA-Bowie in April and May ........ just like Roy had stated, and just like I had previously cited.

There is no need for me to pull up an old post to make you look bad and/or unreasonably hostile ........ you did that on your own.

o

o

This was Harvey's inaugural outing for the 2018 season.

6 OUTS: ) 2 Flyouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Groundout (Including 1 Double Play), 1 Lineout

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. AA-Harrisburg, 4/14)

IP:lll 2

H:lllll 2 )) (2 Singles)

R:lllll 1

BB:lll) *

SO:lll1

Pitches: )l 34 (23 )Strikes, )11 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 4.50 )l(AA-Bowie))  2.00 IP  (1 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.000 )l(AA-Bowie) )  2.00 IP  (2 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  )l .333 )l(AA-Bowie) )  (2 for 6)

* )) Harvey had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

26 ll(19 llStrikes, llll71 ll(Balls)

81 lll(41 llStrikes, llll41 ll(Balls)

o

13 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

This was Harvey's inaugural outing for the 2018 season.

6 OUTS: ) 2 Flyouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Groundout (Including 1 Double Play), 1 Lineout

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. AA-Harrisburg, 4/14)

IP:lll 2

H:lllll 2 )) (2 Singles)

R:lllll 1

BB:lll) *

SO:lll1

Pitches: )l 34(23 )Strikes, )11 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 4.50 )l(AA-Bowie))  2.00 IP  (1 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.000 )l(AA-Bowie) )  2.00 IP  (2 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .333 )l(AA-Bowie) )  (2 for 6)

* )) Harvey had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

26 ll(19 llStrikes, llll71 llBalls)

81 lll(41 llStrikes, llll41 llBalls)

o

I don't know the circumstances, but the Orioles "development" of Harvey this year is seriously unconventional. Why in the world was he limited to just 34 pitches and two innings in his first start of the year at Bowie?

This really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The kid needs to pitch and needs to develop his changeup and command of his other pitches. He needs to learn how to get through an order a couple of times and he needs to learn how to pitch up to 100 pitches (Not expecting him to do this early in the season). 

Other minor league starters were getting around 80-90 pitches a start. I know the Orioles are supposedly trying to keep his innings down early so he can be perhaps pitching in Baltimore later this year, but what makes anyone think he's ready? 

The kid hasn't pitched more than two innings in a minor league appearance since 2014. He needs to spend an entire year in Bowie trying to develop his arsenal and command while learning how to be a starter. I mean seriously, when was the last time this kid had to pitch in the 6th or 7th inning of a ballgame while going through a lineup the 3rd or perhaps 4th time? 

Seem like their development of him is short-sighted and I'm guessing this plan was dictated from the front office, not by the minor league development guys.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know the circumstances, but the Orioles "development" of Harvey this year is seriously unconventional. Why in the world was he limited to just 34 pitches and two innings in his first start of the year at Bowie?

This really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The kid needs to pitch and needs to develop his changeup and command of his other pitches. He needs to learn how to get through an order a couple of times and he needs to learn how to pitch up to 100 pitches (Not expecting him to do this early in the season). 

Other minor league starters were getting around 80-90 pitches a start. I know the Orioles are supposedly trying to keep his innings down early so he can be perhaps pitching in Baltimore later this year, but what makes anyone think he's ready? 

The kid hasn't pitched more than two innings in a minor league appearance since 2014. He needs to spend an entire year in Bowie trying to develop his arsenal and command while learning how to be a starter. I mean seriously, when was the last time this kid had to pitch in the 6th or 7th inning of a ballgame while going through a lineup the 3rd or perhaps 4th time? 

Seem like their development of him is short-sighted and I'm guessing this plan was dictated from the front office, not by the minor league development guys.

Problem is, if you had him throw 5-7 innings a start he’d be done for the season in mid-July.   You can kind of compare what they’re doing with Harvey with what they did with Bundy in 2016, though by necessity Bundy was in the majors.    But they kept the clamps on him for half a season and then allowed him to build up innings in the second half.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Problem is, if you had him throw 5-7 innings a start he’d be done for the season in mid-July.   You can kind of compare what they’re doing with Harvey with what they did with Bundy in 2016, though by necessity Bundy was in the majors.    But they kept the clamps on him for half a season and then allowed him to build up innings in the second half.   

Its obvious they are being careful with Harvey's arm. When he starts getting over 50 pitches they will probably start extending him more, but maybe not. Besides 87 innings in 14, he's barely thrown at all his entire career. 

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They were likely concerned about the 26 pitches in the first inning. No need to push him at this point.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I was told he hadn't even pitched since the end of March so that's why he was limited to just 2 IP and 34 pitches. I get them wanting to bring him along slowly and I get they need to monitor his innings and keep him around 100 this year, but I just think they are more worried about trying to use him this year in Baltimore instead of focusing on his long term development and that concerns me.

There's no reason to push him to Baltimore this year when there's obviously nothing on the line.  

Damn, it's hard to believe he's 23 already.  

• Upvote 1

While I generally hate the pitcher "development" around here...  I've no problem with this outing.  Hopefully, he goes 3 or 4 innings in the next game and is pitching 5 or 6 (or pitching to some count like 90) in a month.  If he's still throwing two innings in May then, yeah, that's stupid.