How many All Stars will we have?

sportsfan8703

In order of certainty

1. Machado- winning vote to start at 3rd

2. Britton- leading league in saves

3. Trumbo- 1st in HR's, 3rd in RBI's

4. Tillman- 2nd in Wins

5. Brach- dominant reliever, is having an AS year

6. Jones- hometown guy. Could be on the last man ballot. Cain is hurt.

7. MW- 2nd most WAR of any C. Really weak position.

8. Crush- Most WAR at 1B.

9. Schoop- having a breakout year but at a stacked position. Last player ballot?

You can make serious arguments for all these guys. We should be well represented. Heck, we have 5 guys flirting with 30 HR 100 RBI seasons. So who makes it?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In order of certainty

1. Machado- winning vote to start at 3rd

2. Britton- leading league in saves

3. Trumbo- 1st in HR's, 3rd in RBI's

4. Tillman- 2nd in Wins

5. Brach- dominant reliever, is having an AS year

6. Jones- hometown guy. Could be on the last man ballot. Cain is hurt.

7. MW- 2nd most WAR of any C. Really weak position.

8. Crush- Most WAR at 1B.

9. Schoop- having a breakout year but at a stacked position. Last player ballot?

You can make serious arguments for all these guys. We should be well represented. Heck, we have 5 guys flirting with 30 HR 100 RBI seasons. So who makes it?

The first three and maybe CD.

It would be patently absurd if Manny or Britton were left off. Trumbo is also basically a lock.

I'd say Wieters and Davis are probable. The stats show they deserve it compared to other players at their position. But they're not total locks.

For Tillman, he would be a reasonable choice but there are a lot of other good SPs and he may be on the wrong side of the line. Similar idea for Schoop although for him I'm pretty sure he won't be in. Too many better known 2bs having great All-Star worthy seasons.

Brach, I don't know. I doubt they'd take a setup man from what is (probably) going to be one of the most well-represented teams. But sometimes the managers have surprises with those non-closers, and O'Day just got chosen last year.

Tillman has a shot at making the team because he has a lot of wins and pitches for a division leader. A lot of the best AL starters this year have not pitched quite as well lately (including Tillman) and play teams that have struggled lately (which obviously does not include Tillman).

I don't think Tillman makes the team but he might just barely. I'm guessing the AL starters making the team will be Sale, Hamels, Wright, Salazar, and after which it's anyone's guess -- maybe Tillman though probably not.

We're gonna get hosed and people here are gonna be pissed. We'll have two, maybe three.

Machado and Britton.

I think we'll have four: Machado, Britton, Trumbo and Wieters. Maybe five and/or six with Tillman and Davis but I kind of doubt it. Adam Jones would be a real longshot despite his recent hot play, very unlikely he makes the team.

Five is probably the best we can hope for.

Remember, every team is required to have a representative. The best players don't necessarily get in. Schoop has almost no-shot with as deep as 2B is this year. Altuve, Cano, and Kinsler are all having better seasons and there is also Pedroia, so Schoop will not be considered.

Locks: Machado, Britton

Probable: Trumbo, Wieters

Questionable (could go either way): Tillman

Long Shots: Davis (Hosmer and Cabrera), Jones, Brach

In terms of fWAR Perez, Vogt and Martin are ahead of Wieters at C, Donaldson and Manny are tied, Davis is first at 1B, followed by Encarnation, and MCab. I think that order will be reversed. Trumbo is 7th among RF.

Wieters is currently in second place in voting behind Perez.

Archived