Wright scratched from start tonight, brought up for Friday

Tony-OH

Mike Wright was scratched from his scheduled start Thursday for Triple-A Norfolk.

You have imagine this means he's starting tomorrow night. So for those of us in the ABJ (Anbody but Jimenez) camp, looks like we got our wish. Wright doesn't scare anyone but he has shown the ability keep his team in games more times than not unlike Jimenez who has failed to make thru the 5th inning 6 times this year.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From MASN "While the team has yet to make an official announcement, there's a good chance Wright will be called up to start Friday against the Angels. The Orioles have a roster spot open after optioning Jayson Aquino to Double-A Bowie after Wednesday's 14-inning marathon against the Dodgers. Ubaldo Jimenez is listed as the starter for Friday's series opener but he's pitched very poorly and could be headed back to the bullpen. Wright is only 3-4 with a 6.12 ERA in 13 outings (12 starts) for the Orioles this year. "

At least Wright is doing well at AAA

Statistically he has looked good in AAA' date=' but Buck was very lukewarm a few days ago. From July 3:

I asked Showalter what reports he has gotten on Wright since he was optioned out.

"He’s been OK," Showalter said. "His results have been better than he’s pitched. Good. It's not bad. Just a few things that maybe he got away with that he wouldn't get away with here. I think, couple of more starts, you're going to really like where he is. We're trying to leave him alone and let him get settled in there a little bit."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/07/seattle-pregame-notes-on-oday-givens-and-more-hunter-harvey-to-pitch-at.html

So you guys are giving Wright ZERO credit for making three starts in AAA and having a sub 1 ERA? There's a difference between him and Jimenez. Ubaldo would get rocked in AAA too.

Wright isn't our savior but he's better than Ubaldo and at least earned getting back in the rotation. Ubaldo got rocked in his one outing in the pen and then was gifted two starts vs the Padres. Plus Wright could be a real weapon out of the pen for us if/when we go that route.

Two reasons I'd like to see Wright get the start:

1. I tend to shudder at our lousy SP candidates in proportion to how recently I've suffered through watching them. It's been a little since I saw Wright get lit up, and therefore since he caused me to throw anything or curse at my computer screen.

2. I will grasp at any straw that can make me think one of these guys has improved over what I've seen so far. (If I were in Dean Wormer's position, it wouldn't take much for me to give Delta another chance, either.) Wright's recent MiL record is more than enough to give me hope.

Mike Wright was scratched from his scheduled start Thursday for AAA-Norfolk.

You have imagine this means he's starting tomorrow night. So, for those of us in the ABJ (Anybody but Jimenez) camp, it looks like we got our wish. Wright doesn't scare anyone, but he has shown the ability keep his team in games more times than not ...... unlike Jimenez, who has failed to make through the 5th inning 6 times this year.

Good info.

Thanks.

Archived