2016 Trade Deadline Thread (Done)

Rene88

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then here's a rule of thumb. If you are talking to people on a board, realize they are people. Be respectful. I am very sorry my calling out DD bothers you. With all the terrible tragedies in the world currently, I know that must be a top the list, rolls eyes.

I think DD is a B- GM, not awful. But on here, most (until recently with the failures of Gallardo & Ubaldo) most thought he was terrific. This board resembles lemmings. They look to others to justify their opinions, not I. Similar to how people gang up on posters (I won't mention names).

Let's agree to disagree and move on. Not even sure what we disagree on.

This is why you get called out. No one is upset you call out DD. It's the way you go about it and act like a) it's some novel concept and b) that no one else does

USA Today’s Bob Nightengale tweets that the Reds have “found a match” for a Bruce trade and expects Cincinnati to trade Bruce to a National League club this morning. That team is not the Dodgers, according to Nightengale. The Giants and Mets are the two non-Dodgers NL clubs that have been most heavily linked to Bruce in the past day or two.

MLBTR

Can someone explain to me the benefit of having a lefty in the rotation? Seriously, how does having one starter in 5 be left handed actually provide any benefit over 5 right handed starters?

A little busy right now but in a series, it is always best to give the opposing team different looks so they do not get too comfortable and go all leg kick on you. Kinda like the Toronto sign stealing. A lefty is the ultimate disruption of the look, though a team staked with righties like the afformentione Toronto leg kickers is likely to tee off on one. That's why Chen went to Frederick, or Aberdeen, or Delmarva. Wherever he was demoted to.

There are of course many other reasons, but disruption in baseball is an effective tool. Much like it is in business.

A little busy right now but in a series, it is always best to give the opposing team different looks so they do not get too comfortable and go all leg kick on you. Kinda like the Toronto sign stealing. A lefty is the ultimate disruption of the look, though a team staked with righties like the afformentione Toronto leg kickers is likely to tee off on one. That's why Chen went to Frederick, or Aberdeen, or Delmarva. Wherever he was demoted to.

There are of course many other reasons, but disruption in baseball is an effective tool. Much like it is in business.

Frederick. I thought it was overkill to send him there instead of Bowie or norfolk

Different angles of attack that righties can't usually do.

Also, it makes the opposing manager start his righthanders, which in the later stages of a game can be matched up with by Darren O'Day or Brad Brach, or Mychal Givens. y

It is interesting that very few free agents to be have been traded. Most players traded still have a year or more of control left.

I think those teams that are making the trades don't want to give up aksing price for rentals. Usually as it gets closer to deadline the aksing price drops if they know they are going to loose the guy next season anyway. Hellickson is an example his price tag is still way up there from some reports so a team is not going to overpay. They either drop their demands or they loose getting nothing for him. Though the could give a qualifying offer that is a big gamble for him at 16 million a year.

Also, it makes the opposing manager start his righthanders, which in the later stages of a game can be matched up with by Darren O'Day or Brad Brach, or Mychal Givens. y

Bingo Weams! That is exactly the advantage for us. Other than that it only helps the opposing manager because he is able to rest some players and bat right handed platoon options, thus, having a lefty is often not positive. BUT to not have lefty starters and NOT have a lefty in the bullpen (besides the closer) is a big problem. If the bullpen is constructed properly then quality is all that matters out of the starters, not which hand they throw with.

I should add that the manager will then just pinch hit with his lefties, so I'm not sure this theory really holds...

I think those teams that are making the trades don't want to give up aksing price for rentals. Usually as it gets closer to deadline the aksing price drops if they know they are going to loose the guy next season anyway. Hellickson is an example his price tag is still way up there from some reports so a team is not going to overpay. They either drop their demands or they loose getting nothing for him. Though the could give a qualifying offer that is a big gamble for him at 16 million a year.

Also this is a very weak free agent class. No Price/Greinke/Zimmerman type players going on the market this year.

Archived