So what next?

OregonBird

IIRC last year at this time the O's were in 1st place by a few games and most talking heads were picking them to win the East. I think a lot of folks were feeling pretty good and that this team would go on a run. Instead they didn't do much at the deadline and fell flat in July, arguably worse in August and if not for Chris Davis going on a late tear they would have finished below .500.

This year it feels like the team is in a similar spot. The division can certainly be had but this team is going to need some starting pitching fast. Personally, I don't think they have the chips to make a significant deal. j With a taxed bullpen and no confidence in their starting pitching they could go into a tailspin if they do not stabilize the starting rotation. DD will have to be a magician to pull something off before the deadline.

If I were a betting man I'd say the BJs will take it as they can pitch and hit but the Red Sox could certainly put it together. The O's... well, too many holes in the rotation.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I don't think they have the chips to make a significant deal. j With a taxed bullpen and no confidence in their starting pitching they could go into a tailspin if they do not stabilize the starting rotation. DD will have to be a magician to pull something off before the deadline.

A package of Hunter Harvey, Mancini, Sisco and Mountcastle would bring back a top pitcher without requiring any magic tricks. We certainly have the chips - question is do we use them.

I think the O's could unload the farm to Oakland for Sonny Gray and Rich Hill and fix most of their pitching problems.

A package of Hunter Harvey, Mancini, Sisco and Mountcastle would bring back a top pitcher without requiring any magic tricks. We certainly have the chips - question is do we use them.

I think the O's could unload the farm to Oakland for Sonny Gray and Rich Hill and fix most of their pitching problems.

Would that really solve our problems? Gray hasn't been great this season and Hill could easily fall apart.

I would look to reclamation projects that can be had on the cheap and hope that we find something. Like Joe Saunders was for us in 2012. Nothing flashy, but somebody who can eat up some innings, give our offense a chance and our bullpen a bit of a breather.

I would look to reclamation projects that can be had on the cheap and hope that we find something. Like Joe Saunders was for us in 2012. Nothing flashy, but somebody who can eat up some innings, give our offense a chance and our bullpen a bit of a breather.

Agree. This team doesn't need a TOR SP. Hellickson would be fine. Francisco Liriano is someone I'd like too. Or both. Would really like a LHP in the rotation.

Agree. This team doesn't need a TOR SP. Hellickson would be fine. Francisco Liriano is someone I'd like too. Or both. Would really like a LHP in the rotation.

This team DOES need a TOR SP! Do we have the chips to do so.....NOPE. Id settle for Hill.

When the Athletics put Rich Hill on the market, they can be expected to charge a high price for him, Rosenthal says. Hill?s stats ? if only for this season ? compare favorably to David Price?s last year, and he might be amenable to an extension with his new team.

The A's expect a David Price type return for Rich Hill? I wasn't that high on him before, but just cross him off the list now then.

What would it take to get Jake Odorizzi from the Rays? He's cheaper and healthier than Matt Moore. I think he doesn't hit arbitration until after the season. He would cost one (at least) of Bundy or Harvey, but he would be here for several years. I would trade Harvey for him, but would want to hold onto Bundy. Harvey has all this potential, but Odorizzi is actually a ML starter. 8.4 K/9, 1.23 WHIP, and 3.89 ERA (career) would be the O's #2 starter.

What would it take to get Jake Odorizzi from the Rays? He's cheaper and healthier than Matt Moore. I think he doesn't hit arbitration until after the season. He would cost one (at least) of Bundy or Harvey, but he would be here for several years. I would trade Harvey for him, but would want to hold onto Bundy. Harvey has all this potential, but Odorizzi is actually a ML starter. 8.4 K/9, 1.23 WHIP, and 3.89 ERA (career) would be the O's #2 starter.

I don't know about Odorizzi. He's a fly ball pitcher who hasn't been as good away from the Tropical. But I'd say probably Harvey, Mancini, Sisco, and maybe a guy like Wilson who could go right in the rotation.

Archived