Give Bundy a few starts?

BarclaySouthway

How should we use Bundy the rest of the year?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How should we use Bundy the rest of the year?

• Leave him in his present role
    • Give him a couple starts and try to stay under the innings limit.
    • Put him in the rotation and start him the rest of the year.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never really understood the innings limit.

It seems a better barometer is pitches thrown.

An inning could be 3 pitches or 20+ pitches.

I never understood the Nats decision to limit Strasburg a couple of years ago. Heck, they were competing for a world series title. But they put an innings limit on him.

:shrug:

I never understood the Nats decision to limit Strasburg a couple of years ago. Heck, they were competing for a world series title. But they put an innings limit on him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/nats-mets-take-far-different-approaches-in-care-and-maintenance-of-young-arms/2016/07/09/d9c73b44-4561-11e6-88d0-6adee48be8bc_story.html

Pair Worley-Bundy as the 4th starter, Worley for 4-5 and Bundy for 2-3. Keeps him on 5 day starter cycle and

manages innings limit. Fifth starter is Wilson-Wright on Norfolk shuttle for the 10 times we need it in the second half.

Ubaldo needs to be on the DL to work with Ramon on mechanics. Need 2 more long men in BP out of Miranda,

Despaigne, Mac, etc.

Not pitching is the best therapy. I mean ever. Every pitch is bad for the arm.

When Sandy Koufax was forced to retire following the 1966 season (he was only 30 years-old), he was asked if he felt badly about having to give up his profession while he was in his prime.

Koufax said not at all, that pitching (a baseball) on a regular basis was an unnatural act, and that he felt fortunate to have been able to play and succeed at the level that he did for as long as he did.

Hopefully the team can have a dominant Bundy through the playoff run. I say protect him and keep him in the current play it 'close to the vest' role. His velocity has increased and I want the same potentially dominant arm in October.

I think the team will elevate an arm from Bowie or Norfolk,while trying to land another experienced starter. Ulbaldo has been pitiful,and Wilson and Wright have **** the bed when given the chance to take the next step. I am crossing my fingers we get better results from Gausman and Gallardo. I would look at Gunkel, and believe it or not I would give Chris Lee a spot start in the next 30 days, if Wright and Wilson keep regressing..

It was never really an innings limit. It was a time limit, 5 months. Strasburg had never pitched longer than a 4 month college season, to expect he could had 6 months and then a playoff run is a bit of a stretch.

While I have no problem with the cautious approach of keeping him on his current schedule, I would have no problem with starting him either. Let him work his way up to 80-100 pitches per start and just keep an eye on him. At the slightest big of soreness or arm fatigue or anything, you dial it back.

There you go. I agree with you.

One would also think Matt Harvey might be used as an example, to take caution. A pitcher who set the record last season with the most innings after TJ surgery.

DD was on with Melewski in a pre-game chat and it was very interesting.

He said he would be inclined, if Dylan was feeling fine and wanting to keep pitching, that he would be inclined to allow it. He said, the org has groomed Dylan to be a SP, and that is where they want him at.

I am torn by this. Not sure I want the player to be in the position to make that call.

I think he'll get a start here and there, but nothing regular. And while I'm enthused about how well he has pitched the last six weeks ago, his pitches/inning are still very high, so he'll be lucky to get through 5 IP if he does start any games.

I think he'll get a start here and there, but nothing regular. And while I'm enthused about how well he has pitched the last six weeks ago, his pitches/inning are still very high, so he'll be lucky to get through 5 IP if he does start any games.

I agree, as cool as it was, watching his 7 Ks in 2.1 inning, it still cost him 56 pitches.

Archived