MLB looking at limits for relief pitchers

esmd

WTF?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/17118662/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-says-looking-possible-limits-use-relief-pitchers-games

I don't like this one bit, and not just because the O's have better starters than relievers. What's the "problem" that they're trying to address? Lack of offense in the late innings? Length of games? Seems those two things will contradict each other. This just stinks to high heaven of someone trying to fix something that isn't broken for no good reason. Leave the game alone!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he wants to speed up the game stop all the replays. I'm sick of it. Guys like Gibbons asking for replays after every other call is one problem. If you think the games are too long then don't watch. Real baseball fans don't care about the length of the games.

"Average length of MLB games

Year Avg. Time

2016 3:04

2015 3:00

2014 3:08

2013 3:04

2012 3:00

2011 2:56

2010 2:54

2009 2:55

2008 2:55

2007 2:55

2006 2:52

2005 2:49

-- ESPN Stats & Information"

So none of the rules changes they have come up with to "speed up the game" have worked. Gee, I'm amazed that making a fake to third and throw to first a balk hasn't cut at least an hour off of the average game time. :laughlol: Now, instead of realizing that the games take longer because of TV commercials and leaving the game the way it is, they will go ahead and adopt even more absurd rules.

I'm not so sure that it was Manfred. He may well have said dominant. He is being quoted. The writer may have written it wrong. I can't believe that I am defending Manfred on anything. LOL.

Did Manfred have his ballcap on backwards? That's a dead giveaway. Maybe he was feelin' tight with his homies.

This will go nowhere, and might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Everyone gets a 25 man roster, you can't go dictating the makeup of said roster. Period.

Correct.

Anymore than you can dictate where the 7 position players besides the pitcher and the catcher play on the field in fair territory.

WTF?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/17118662/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-says-looking-possible-limits-use-relief-pitchers-games

I don't like this one bit, and not just because the O's have better starters than relievers. What's the "problem" that they're trying to address? Lack of offense in the late innings? Length of games? Seems those two things will contradict each other. This just stinks to high heaven of someone trying to fix something that isn't broken for no good reason. Leave the game alone!

I wouldn't read too much into it, yet. It's just stuff they're tossing around. The NFL throws around silly rules, too, but they never make it into real life.

Manfred's definitely conflicted, though. Wants more offense (banning the shift), but wants the game to be faster. Lol.

I'm all for a rule change that says, for example, that a reliever has to face at least two hitters. The sequence of at bat - pitching change - at bat - pitching change is pretty brutal. But what Manfred is saying is insanity.

Why would you agree to the passage of a rule that directly prevents basic strategy from being deployed?

Archived