Machado vs Arenado

TradeAngelos

So of course before the last out was made today those die hard Rockies fans are already chirping how Arenado is better than Machado, best 3B in the game....blah blah blah. And that won't be the last time over the next few days we hear that, believe it.

Now a quick check of the numbers surprisingly shows that Machado, even while 2 years younger and not playing in the friendly confines of Coors field, best him pretty much all the way around.

It really isn't close when you factor that stuff in, and realize that while Arenado might hit 20 WAR through age 25, Machado could easily be near 40 by that point.

That kid is a nice player though, but just not Machado. No one is. I will have fun explaining that to all the Rockie fans this week.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So of course before the last out was made today those die hard Rockies fans are already chirping how Arenado is better than Machado, best 3B in the game....blah blah blah. And that won't be the last time over the next few days we hear that, believe it.

Now a quick check of the numbers surprisingly shows that Machado, even while 2 years younger and not playing in the friendly confines of Coors field, best him pretty much all the way around.

It really isn't close when you factor that stuff in, and realize that while Arenado might hit 20 WAR through age 25, Machado could easily be near 40 by that point.

That kid is a nice player though, but just not Machado. No one is. I will have fun explaining that to all the Rockie fans this week.

The Rockies have fans?

The Rockies have fans?

The Rockies are 11th in MLB in average home attendance, about 6,000 per game ahead of the Orioles. Other than St. Louis, every team ahead of them in attendance is in a much larger market.

I find that pretty impressive given the quality of the team.

The Rockies are 11th in MLB in average home attendance, about 6,000 per game ahead of the Orioles. Other than St. Louis, every team ahead of them in attendance is in a much larger market.

I find that pretty impressive given the quality of the team.

It was just a joke. And besides, they're the only game in town as far as MLB is concerned. The Diamondabacks are 850 miles away; the Rangers are 780 miles away; KC is 600+ miles away; the Twins are 900 miles away; the Cardinals are 850 miles away. Is there another "local" MLB team to choose?

It was just a joke. And besides, they're the only game in town as far as MLB is concerned. The Diamondabacks are 850 miles away; the Rangers are 780 miles away; KC is 600+ miles away; the Twins are 900 miles away; the Cardinals are 850 miles away. Is there another "local" MLB team to choose?

As a transplant to Denver, I've been here for 8 years. I've taken to rooting for them, and my son, 7, has only known the Rockies (we don't get enough Os telecasts out here to generate much interest for him). I wear my Os hat to games and generally find 3-4 other Os fans. But as for other teams, I tend to see lots of Royals, Cardinals and, oddly, Dodgers gear.

The Rockies have not had a competitive product for several years, but they do a great job playing up what they do have. With Arenado, Story, Blackmon and Cargo, they have a good core that they market relentlessly. Further, the players are active and visible in the community, schools, and local athletic groups. Kids here don't care that the Rockies aren't that good - they just want to see their favorite players.

Mostly, though, Coors Field has been adapted to be a "family friendly" atmosphere. There are all kinds of kids activities within the stadium, food and beverage costs are reasonable (perhaps that's a relative statement), and there a variety of things to do around the stadium, allowing for families to make it an all-day event. Also, for the younger adults, the Rockies added a third deck with several bars, patio section, and social media events on almost every night. The concession areas are roomy enough that lines are never that long and one doesn't feel like you're walking through tunnels (old Yankee Stadium, anyone?)

Without being able to attract top-level FA pitching, the organization needs to catch lightning with its draft picks. They've been more successful with the hitting at this point. But despite the many drawbacks they face, the Rockies have done a good job making sure that whatever the quality of the on-field product, they still draw well from a fairly loyal fan base.

If you ever get out here, make sure to take in a game!

OK, back to Os stuff....

As a transplant to Denver, I've been here for 8 years. I've taken to rooting for them, and my son, 7, has only known the Rockies (we don't get enough Os telecasts out here to generate much interest for him). I wear my Os hat to games and generally find 3-4 other Os fans. But as for other teams, I tend to see lots of Royals, Cardinals and, oddly, Dodgers gear.

The Rockies have not had a competitive product for several years, but they do a great job playing up what they do have. With Arenado, Story, Blackmon and Cargo, they have a good core that they market relentlessly. Further, the players are active and visible in the community, schools, and local athletic groups. Kids here don't care that the Rockies aren't that good - they just want to see their favorite players.

Mostly, though, Coors Field has been adapted to be a "family friendly" atmosphere. There are all kinds of kids activities within the stadium, food and beverage costs are reasonable (perhaps that's a relative statement), and there a variety of things to do around the stadium, allowing for families to make it an all-day event. Also, for the younger adults, the Rockies added a third deck with several bars, patio section, and social media events on almost every night. The concession areas are roomy enough that lines are never that long and one doesn't feel like you're walking through tunnels (old Yankee Stadium, anyone?)

Without being able to attract top-level FA pitching, the organization needs to catch lightning with its draft picks. They've been more successful with the hitting at this point. But despite the many drawbacks they face, the Rockies have done a good job making sure that whatever the quality of the on-field product, they still draw well from a fairly loyal fan base.

OK, back to Os stuff....

Good stuff. So what is the scouting report on the team coming into this series?

TIA.

OK, back to Os stuff....

Re: pitching, they once had a fireballing international signee who came in second in the CYA one year. What was his name...?

;)

They are both fantastic young players. One doesn't have to be better than the other. It doesn't matter.

Sincerely,

Grown-ups

Winner...I can appreciate the talent that both players bring to the field without needing to be derogatory of their player. Sometimes fans complicate sports.

They are both fantastic young players. One doesn't have to be better than the other. It doesn't matter.

Sincerely,

Grown-ups

Winner...I can appreciate the talent that both players bring to the field without needing to be derogatory of their player. Sometimes fans complicate sports.

I don't see where anyone has been derogatory of remark in this thread. And it seems to me it is legitimate and fun to compare them since they are two of the top young 3B in MLB.

The Rockies have fans?

They have fans in the same sense that the Nats have fans. Fans go for something to do. I have a lot of family in the Denver area, and they're all rabid Denver sports fans. Even they describe Coors Field as "the best bar in Denver", which to me, basically means that the team on the field is irrelevant to why they're there. Great city, nice weather, beautiful park, and cheap ticket prices add up to a good way to spend a summer afternoon - no more, no less.

Archived