Need to make a decision with Ubaldo

eddie83

Nah. Just nah.

I mean, I'm rooting for Ubaldo to finish the season strong, too, because the O's need it. But if literally anyone would take him in the offseason, see ya later, U.

I'm in the same boat. Especially because next year we're stuck w/ Miley, Gallardo AND Ubaldo.

Ubaldo has been awful for the beginning of 2014 and then mediocre the rest of the year. He was fantastic for the first half of 2015 and then a disaster the second half. And then this year he was a disaster for half a season, shelved for nearly a quarter...and then all of a sudden he's pitching well.

Put that together and it's one thing: inconsistent.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in the same boat. Especially because next year we're stuck w/ Miley, Gallardo AND Ubaldo.

Ubaldo has been awful for the beginning of 2014 and then mediocre the rest of the year. He was fantastic for the first half of 2015 and then a disaster the second half. And then this year he was a disaster for half a season, shelved for nearly a quarter...and then all of a sudden he's pitching well.

Put that together and it's one thing: inconsistent.

It seems like - once he has a mechanical problem, it lasts for months. Gotta figure out why that's happened and how to avoid it happening again.

Not to mention, 3 straight QS.

He has been a major asset, with Tilly landing on the DL.

He is the reason why we are still in this thing. And I am as surprised as anybody by that. But he has shown a history of pitching like this for some pretty extended stretches, so he may very well be able to keep this up through the rest of the season. Now, if Tillman comes back strong we are in business IMO. A rotation of Gausman, Bundy, Tillman and this Jimenez is pretty strong. I would keep throwing the LH Miley out there with them and send Gallardo to the pen.

He is the reason why we are still in this thing. And I am as surprised as anybody by that. But he has shown a history of pitching like this for some pretty extended stretches, so he may very well be able to keep this up through the rest of the season. Now, if Tillman comes back strong we are in business IMO. A rotation of Gausman, Bundy, Tillman and this Jimenez is pretty strong. I would keep throwing the LH Miley out there with them and send Gallardo to the pen.

He is still the same Ubaldo he has always been. A box of chocolates.

Ubaldo's 3 years in Baltimore in 1/3s:

2014 (25 appearances)

First 8: 4.02 ERA, 2-6

Middle 8: 5.49 ERA, 0-4

Last 9: 5.06 ERA, 4-1

2015 (32 appearances)

First 11: 3.02 ERA, 3-3

Middle 11: 4.55 ERA, 6-4

Last 10: 4.81 ERA, 3-3

2016 (26 appearances)

First 9: 6.04 ERA, 2-5

Middle 9: 9.58 ERA, 3-4

Last 8: 3.38 ERA, 1-2

2 periods of brilliance (< 3.50 ERA), 2 periods of average (4.00 ERA - 4.75 ERA), 3 periods of bad (4.75 ERA - 6.00 ERA), 2 periods of awful (6.00 ERA+)

So he's certainly capable of extended periods of brilliance...and even average-ish pitching.

Hopefully he can keep it up for the next 6-7 weeks. ;)

Archived