Does Chris Davis play left field tonight?

wildcard

The O's face lefty Madison Bumgarner tonight. The O's lineup could be interesting.

Here is what Buck said about Steve Pearce yesterday.

Steve Pearce took batting practice and appears to have avoided the disabled list.

"Felt good," Showalter said. "He?s an option to pinch-hit tonight, maybe do some other things. I?m not going to get into that. Hopefully, be able to get him in the lineup somehow. Going to be a little tougher with the National League rules."

Pearce is the only Oriole that has hit Bumgarner. He is 2 for 3 off him with a double. But can he play the field? Buck's comment makes it sound like he might not. Under NL Rules without the DH, first base may be the only place he fits tonight.

So Pearce at 1B and Davis to replace Kim in left field? Davis is hitting for a .770 OPS vs lefties and his bat is heating up again. My guess is that Buck wants Davis in the lineup.

Guess we will see.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you'd see Davis in RF before he's in LF. I just have my doubts any of that actually happens though, unless Davis has been taking fly balls in the OF, and I think we'd have heard of that by now. Buck won't just throw him out there cold, having not been playing out there even in practice since last year.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Not talking about today's game but just in general. With Pearce having arm issues if he does play the field 1B makes the most sense. Would the Orioles defense be better with Pearce at 1b, Davis in RF and Trumbo DH then Davis at 1B, Trumbo at RF and Pearce DH? I have always thought Steve was a solid defender.

Davis at first, Trumbo in left, Reimold in left. WIWD what I would do.
Leaves a pretty big hole in right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a new variant of the shift. Maybe between the two of them, Trumbo and Reimold can actually cover LF. The hell with RF, all those lefties will never hit it there with Gausman pitching.

From Roch

Showalter on whether Davis is breaking out of slump:

“I don’t overthink it. He’s playing such great defense. You don’t take it for granted. He makes two plays every night. Our guys just feel like they’ve got to throw it in the vicinity. He’s playing at an elite level defensively. I think there’s only two guys who have more walks than him in the league. If he gets the other part of it going a little bit ... But he’s been a contributor almost every night in some form or fashion.”

So. No.

Wouldn't the more logical move be sitting Kim, playing Pearce in left and keeping Trumbo in right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, if Pearce's arm is up to playing the OF. I think that is in question. It sounds like they believe he is ready to hit but maybe not play the OF.

Pearce has not played the OF since May. He played 1B in June and mostly DHed July when he wasn't on of the lineup with an injury.

Archived