If This Is It-2017 Offseason

Bahama O's Fan

So basically pitching is the biggest problem. How would you fix it for next season?

You can't.

The free agent market will be abysmal and Gallardo, Ubaldo and Miley are all under contract next year.

You just have to hope that Tillman, Guasman and Bundy are all healthy and effective.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no hope for Ubaldo anymore' date=' but do you think there is any hope for improvement, if only to career average numbers for Gallardo and Miley?[/quote']

Maybe if Gallardo actually does a strength training routine this offseason instead of sitting on his rear. And I'm not joking. How you show up throwing 87-88 is unacceptable.

You can't.

The free agent market will be abysmal and Gallardo, Ubaldo and Miley are all under contract next year.

You just have to hope that Tillman, Guasman and Bundy are all healthy and effective.

We just need to find a late bloomer playing in the Mexican league and an undervalued average lefty from the Nippon League.

Maybe if Gallardo actually does a strength training routine this offseason instead of sitting on his rear. And I'm not joking. How you show up throwing 87-88 is unacceptable.

He wasn't healthy at start of year. Whether or not that was conditioning I don't know.

We just need to find a late bloomer playing in the Mexican league and an undervalued average lefty from the Nippon League.

..and if they get hurt or are ineffective? We're right back where we started because our farm is barren. The farm needs to be addressed because it's the root of the problem here and doing patchwork to try to hold this

thing together solves nothing. We have the means to fix the farm and then some in one offseason. Waiting too long is rolling the dice and hoping no one gets injured and continues to perform at a high enough level to

maintain their value.

..and if they get hurt or are ineffective? We're right back where we started because our farm is barren. The farm needs to be addressed because it's the root of the problem here and doing patchwork to try to hold this

thing together solves nothing. We have the means to fix the farm and then some in one offseason. Waiting too long is rolling the dice and hoping no one gets injured and continues to perform at a high enough level to

maintain their value.

Well, yeah. But no one besides the Marlins blows it up before they really really have to. And it is difficult to simultaneously win and restock the farm without financial resources. See the Athletics.

It is interesting to imagine what our rotation would look like today if Chen and Gonzo had been as bad as Ubaldo and Gallardo.

Arrieta

Tillman

Gausman

Rodriguez

Bundy

Davies

Buck and DD both have contracts through 2018, so it will be a retool this winter AND next winter. Not until the 2018 offseason, i.e. preparing for 2019, could a rebuild be started.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, that is the most likely scenario, if any, for a total rebuild. But the likelihood this year is close to zero.

Well, yeah. But no one besides the Marlins blows it up before they really really have to. And it is difficult to simultaneously win and restock the farm without financial resources. See the Athletics.

It is interesting to imagine what our rotation would look like today if Chen and Gonzo had been as bad as Ubaldo and Gallardo.

Arrieta

Tillman

Gausman

Rodriguez

Bundy

Davies

There is a cost to winning.

Buck and DD both have contracts through 2018, so it will be a retool this winter AND next winter. Not until the 2018 offseason, i.e. preparing for 2019, could a rebuild be started.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the team crashes and burns next year I can see Buck calling it quits and Dan getting fired.

You can't.

I'd consider targeting multi-inning relievers and trying to get creative with how I use my staff. Maybe a four man staff and a "bullpen day" or something, where you only ask those guys to cover 3 innings at the most. Rotate depending on matchups. Have to do something creative or it will be ugly...

Archived