Wieters watch...

Sports Guy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't post much so I apologize if this is in the wrong thread.

I wanted to share my run in with Matt Wieters. I live around Kinston and at the last minute decided to make the trip to Grainger Stadium. Since I got the Dish Network last year, my son and I watch as many Orioles games as possible.

I told my wife and son of Wieters last August and I had to take the chance to try to get his autograph. We waited outside of the player exit at the club house. My son (7) at this point wanted all the Keys autographs. So he waited for each player to exit. Every Player signed the baseball my son had. Some made it an extra point to sign his ball, since he was decked out in Orioles gear.

Then after about 15 players came out here comes Mr. Wieters with a cookie hanging out of his mouth and looking kind of down. He walked out with about 5 other players and my son was in a frantic state trying to have everyone sign. He stopped and tapped my son on the head and said something. I was standing about 25 feet away. He signed the ball (with the cookie still in his mouth) and I said good luck with everything. He then met me half way, shook my hand and said thanks.

He was able to get about 21 players and now has a new favorite player.

My wife stood next to Brandon Erbe for about 10 minutes and she is absoultely in love with Mr. Erbe. She just called me and asked for my SSN to file divorce papers. ;-)

On a side note: Wieter's homerun was a bomb. It traveled about 410-430 ft.

I don't post much so I apologize if this is in the wrong thread.

I wanted to share my run in with Matt Wieters. I live around Kinston and at the last minute decided to make the trip to Grainger Stadium. Since I got the Dish Network last year, my son and I watch as many Orioles games as possible.

I told my wife and son of Wieters last August and I had to take the chance to try to get his autograph. We waited outside of the player exit at the club house. My son (7) at this point wanted all the Keys autographs. So he waited for each player to exit. Every Player signed the baseball my son had. Some made it an extra point to sign his ball, since he was decked out in Orioles gear.

Then after about 15 players came out here comes Mr. Wieters with a cookie hanging out of his mouth and looking kind of down. He walked out with about 5 other players and my son was in a frantic state trying to have everyone sign. He stopped and tapped my son on the head and said something. I was standing about 25 feet away. He signed the ball (with the cookie still in his mouth) and I said good luck with everything. He then met me half way, shook my hand and said thanks.

He was able to get about 21 players and now has a new favorite player.

My wife stood next to Brandon Erbe for about 10 minutes and she is absoultely in love with Mr. Erbe. She just called me and asked for my SSN to file divorce papers. ;-)

On a side note: Wieter's homerun was a bomb. It traveled about 410-430 ft.

Thanks for posting. Good to hear that in addition to being one hell of a ballplayer, Weiters seems to get what baseball is all about.

Nice article in the Carroll County Times on Sunday about Wieters and his development. Some quotes from Stockstill saying (paraphrased) that there's more to his development than just the numbers, but that they also don't want to slow him down.

Wieters doesn't seem to be in much of a rush, saying that if you're not hitting 1.000 you've still got something to learn. Sounds like he's just sort of soaking everything in.

Nice article in the Carroll County Times on Sunday about Wieters and his development. Some quotes from Stockstill saying (paraphrased) that there's more to his development than just the numbers, but that they also don't want to slow him down.

Wieters doesn't seem to be in much of a rush, saying that if you're not hitting 1.000 you've still got something to learn. Sounds like he's just sort of soaking everything in.

link: http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2008/05/26/sports/asports52608.txt

Archived