Tommy Hunter Released by Indians- SIGNS with Orioles to be Eligible for Postseason.

Rene88

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slightly better than average then if my exact phrasing is really troubling for you.

Isn't the only relevant question whether or not he'd be an upgrade over some other guys on the 25 man roster? Do you think he is not?

Hunter threw 21 low-leverage innings (~0.8 LI) to a roughly average ERA, then got released. If he's better than someone currently on the roster its not by much.

Hunter threw 21 low-leverage innings (~0.8 LI) to a roughly average ERA, then got released. If he's better than someone currently on the roster its not by much.

I guess if you're judging him and his potential based on the last 21 innings in the majors you might conclude that.

I tend to support looking at a player's entire body of work to get a more meaningful sampling of data to draw conclusions from.

His time with the O's in 2015, 2014, etc is not exactly ancient history.

even the incredible WAR (both flavors) has him above replacement level in those 21 innings!

Would you like to know how many Orioles relievers have been sub-replacement level this year?

We have two on the roster right now, potentially three but it depends on what you classify Ubaldo as.

Question that is not intended to be snarky - could someone offer a brief explanation as to why discussing high versus low leverage innings is kosher but any discussion of "clutch" hitting scoffed at? I know it's not quite apples to apples, but the concept is similar: how does a player do in higher pressure/leverage situations.

Don't mean to derail the thread.

I guess if you're judging him and his potential based on the last 21 innings in the majors you might conclude that.

I tend to support looking at a player's entire body of work to get a more meaningful sampling of data to draw conclusions from.

His time with the O's in 2015, 2014, etc is not exactly ancient history.

even the incredible WAR (both flavors) has him above replacement level in those 21 innings!

Would you like to know how many Orioles relievers have been sub-replacement level this year?

We have two on the roster right now, potentially three but it depends on what you classify Ubaldo as.

Hunter's career ERA/FIP/xFIP are 4.29/4.54/4.21. Over 2/3rds of his career value came in 2009-2010. He's a random arm who is likely a fraction of a win different (not necessarily better) from the other random arms at the back of the roster.

Question that is not intended to be snarky - could someone offer a brief explanation as to why discussing high versus low leverage innings is kosher but any discussion of "clutch" hitting scoffed at? I know it's not quite apples to apples, but the concept is similar: how does a player do in higher pressure/leverage situations.

Don't mean to derail the thread.

His performance in those situations wasn't my point. It was that the Indians felt his best role was when the game was already more-or-less over.

Hunter's career ERA/FIP/xFIP are 4.29/4.54/4.21. Over 2/3rds of his career value came in 2009-2010. He's a random arm who is likely a fraction of a win different (not necessarily better) from the other random arms at the back of the roster.

Is he better than Ondrusek, Bridwell, Drake etc? If they think he is then they should sign him. We had to burn Britton 2 night ago because Bridwell wasn't sharp. Can't measure that with WAR.

Is he better than Ondrusek, Bridwell, Drake etc? If they think he is then they should sign him. We had to burn Britton 2 night ago because Bridwell wasn't sharp. Can't measure that with WAR.

And yet with Britton off last night, it was to the Orioles advantage to have used him two nights ago. Baseball is a funny sport.

His worst year FIP wise (excluding his debut season which is useless due to SSS) was when he started with us in 2012. 5.75. That was in over 130 innings.

Since then:

'13: 3.69

'14: 3.15

'15: 3.38 (then yes he was bad in Chicago in 15 innings)

'16 with Indians: 3.15

Hunter was primarily a starter in 2012 and earlier, surely you agree that the ballgame changes when you go from SP to RP and that not all those earlier stats are as relevant?

Usually I find it very hard to argue with you Drungo because your arguments are so well versed in data and logic but I have to admit I'm pretty mystified by your inability to see how much he is an upgrade over our current options.

And yet with Britton off last night, it was to the Orioles advantage to have used him two nights ago. Baseball is a funny sport.

Yes it is buy my point is in a pennant race we shouldn't have to being doing that. Buck said something to Gary after the game about the pen needs to be better in those spots.

Why do you think Hunter is better than those guys? I'd rather have Drake, and probably Ondrusek. If you want to ignore metrics like WAR let's talk about why Hunter was traded for a bag of balls last year, not resigned by the Cubs, signed for a token $2M in February, then released in mid-pennant race by the Indians.

T

Why do you think Hunter is better than those guys? I'd rather have Drake, and probably Ondrusek. If you want to ignore metrics like WAR let's talk about why Hunter was traded for a bag of balls last year, not resigned by the Cubs, signed for a token $2M in February, then released in mid-pennant race by the Indians.

What have those guys done to inspire confidence? Drake was awful up here earlier. I don't get the application of WAR to this argument. We aren't comparing a player like Trumbo to a better all around player.

Hunter throws strikes. Half the time these young guys give the other team free passes that gets them back in the game. Hunter will make you swing the bat. He has been in big spots before. Not like we are advocating him over Britton.

Archived