O's acquire Kyle Lobstein

sock77

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, to get Stubbs the Os "gave up" Phillips, Tolliver and Lobstein but there is a chance that Tollliver and Lobstein might remain in the organization in which case the Os would have given up only Phillips for Stubbs.

Who copped the copper clappers?

Omg, I think I am high. We DFA-ed 3 lefties in the hopes of finding a lefty?

Omg...my brain is melting...

Buck's making it sound like there'll be 1-2 moves tonight before the deadline.

Best guess here is that they never expected Stubbs to get to them on release waivers, and when he was there they had to DFA someone. So the new guy, who wasn't exactly a hot acquisition anyway, was first to the door.

Repped for most likely scenario.

I must say I was never thrilled with having a pitcher with "Lob" in his name on the team.

Seems like he would be easy to hit.

I think it's some sort of luck ritual we do, to acquire a pitcher with a name that seems completely opposed to good pitching, then get rid of him an hour later.

Our luck from the last one (Balfour) seemed to be running out... so why not?

The Lobstein/Phillips trade was not about Lobstein. It was about Phillips.

Phillips was outright in late Spring Training. It was late enough that when he accepted being outrighting he was allowed to keep his 510K salary. So by trading him to the Pirates the O's got rid of the final 92K on his contract.

Lobstein had been optioned to AAA on the split contract so he was being paid a minor league salary. With the minor league schedule all but over the O's can DFA him and pay him nothing.

This gives the O's 92K to acquire another player. Both Stubbs and Bourn will require the O's to only pay the major league minimum for about 89k for the rest of the season. I don't know if the O's will keep both Stubbs and Bourn or just one.

The Lobstein/Phillips trade was not about Lobstein. It was about Phillips.

Phillips was outright in late Spring Training. It was late enough that when he accepted being outrighting he was allowed to keep his 510K salary. So by trading him to the Pirates the O's got rid of the final 92K on his contract.

Lobstein had been optioned to AAA on the split contract so he was being paid a minor league salary. With the minor league schedule all but over the O's can DFA him and pay him nothing.

This gives the O's 92K to acquire another player. Both Stubbs and Bourn will require the O's to only pay the major league minimum for about 89k for the rest of the season. I don't know if the O's will keep both Stubbs and Bourn or just one.

CrOkTctXYAAwn6z.jpg

Archived