The shame of the Jays series was....

Frobby

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles scored 100% of their earned runs in this series off of homers. Unless you're going to hit about 5 a game, you can't expect to win when you're entirely reliant on the long ball. They had 0 hits with RISP. Unacceptable.

What exactly does "unacceptable" mean? They had a tough three days against a very good pitching staff. It happens. I was as frustrated as anyone watching it, but all you can do is move on and hope the next series is better. The O's have been a good team in RISP situations this year (.784 OPS), and they were good in the month of August (.825), but not in this series. Oh well, on to the next one.

Would be interesting to see the BABIP for the series. It seemed like the O's hit a lot of balls right at the Jays, while the Jays lucked out a little more with where the balls were placed.

We did hit some screamers that were ill-placed, like Schoop's smash that Donaldson short-hopped and turned into a DP.

What exactly does "unacceptable" mean? They had a tough three days against a very good pitching staff. It happens. I was as frustrated as anyone watching it, but all you can do is move on and hope the next series is better. The O's have been a good team in RISP situations this year (.784 OPS), and they were good in the month of August (.825), but not in this series. Oh well, on to the next one.

In this case, "unacceptable" meant that you can't do that and expect to win many games. If they're going to hang around in the race this month, they need to get more men on base, and find ways to win games without having to hit 3-4 homers.

I have officially closed the books on this season. The only question I have is do they bring Duquette back for another makeover?

Of course they will bring him back. Soon as season ends everyone will point out that the O's have had the most wins out of anyone over last several years. Never mind the farm system.

In this case, "unacceptable" meant that you can't do that and expect to win many games. If they're going to hang around in the race this month, they need to get more men on base, and find ways to win games without having to hit 3-4 homers.

DD feels this team does pretty good, when their pitchers keep the ball in the park.

Would be interesting to see the BABIP for the series. It seemed like the O's hit a lot of balls right at the Jays, while the Jays lucked out a little more with where the balls were placed.
0.187 in last three games
Thanks, great stat. I wonder if the Jays were significantly better. Probably just enough to make the difference.
0.250 in last three games. Both teams significantly lower than season average.

BABIP is a pretty worthless stat over a three game sample.

BABIP is a pretty worthless stat over a three game sample.

I started to write that all stats are pretty worthless over a three game sample, but that's not true. Worthless for projecting the future, sure. Not worthless for evaluating what happened. You two were speculating that the Orioles hit a lot of line drives right to defenders in the Toronto series.

In general, however, BABIP is pretty worthless IMO. It doesn't separate dribblers from line drives, etc. Just like batting average doesn't separate pathetic little flairs that find some ground from line drives. But it is one measure of what happened.

I started to write that all stats are pretty worthless over a three game sample, but that's not true. Worthless for projecting the future, sure. Not worthless for evaluating what happened. You two were speculating that the Orioles hit a lot of line drives right to defenders in the Toronto series.

In general, however, BABIP is pretty worthless IMO. It doesn't separate dribblers from line drives, etc. Just like batting average doesn't separate pathetic little flairs that find some ground from line drives. But it is one measure of what happened.

I just feel that the smaller the sample, the less you are able to tell whether a low BABIP was due to weak contact or bad luck. I've seen plenty of individual games where a pitcher was quite dominant, got a lot of weak contact but didn't strike out a lot of guys. And, I've seen a lot of games where pitchers were getting creamed and then someone tries to chalk the result up to bad luck because the pitcher's BABIP was high that day.

Archived